Post War 1/72 FAA - Part 2 - Cyber Hobby DH Sea Vixen FAW.2

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst waiting for things to dry on my 'Baby Carriage' - I've picked this up & taken a few sprue and detail shotscyber hobby vixen.jpgP1060263.JPGP1060264.JPGP1060266.JPGP1060267.JPGP1060262.JPG

There are 6 finishes, all Extra Dark Sea Grey over white.

P1060265.JPGP1060268.JPGP1060269.JPGP1060270.JPGP1060271.JPG

The seats look a little underscale to me.

P1060273.JPG

Two Red Top missiles
Loads of slide moulding, and all parts look well formed & will need minimum clean up.
The instructions? Well, as all Dragon ( Cyber Hobby ) efforts, they have to be taken under extreme scrutiny - I've found one error already, before any plastic is cut.......................
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave, always wanted to see one of these built up. So far the molding on the sprues look good until the last two pictures. With slide mold techology at least they could have thinned the missile fins and did the usual Dragon over engineered ejection seats.

I'll pull up a chair to watch this. I have a soft spot for FAA planes.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I did not like the ejector seats, so I went into the spares chest - first thing I found was.........P1060280.JPG

The Sea Vixen had Mk.4 seats - a lighter version of the 3, then, success, 2 of theseP1060282.JPG

White metal Mk.4s - I think the navigator had a slightly different Mk.4 seat, but I'm not going to worry about that.
In comparison with the kit parts..........P1060281.JPG

I just hope that I can fit these into the cockpit, seeing how much larger the metal seats are.................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a miserable morning - had to go out twice & got soaked twice - a little bit of building therapy.............P1060284.JPG
Cockpit - a bit spartan, not even decals for the instrument panel - needs a little creative brush work.
P1060283.JPG
Those ejector seats - which look better primed - and I think they will fit without any problem.

P1060285.JPG

The lower fuselage has the wheel wells added, the jet nozzles, and the rather complicated inlet trunking, which needs dry fitting to see how it interlocks together, before even thinking of glue. No flash, good fit & a minimum of clean up. The instructions don't give any clues on the inside of the intake trunking colour. Most close up photos of the Vixen have red FOD covers fitted ! I'm assuming that they were white - not that it'll really show................
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've never built a Cyber-hobby kit, but your great photo's suggest this is a very nicely detailed kit. I built the Airfix 1:48, and the similarities in the construction of the fuselage are more than obvious !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Colin,
the Airfix 1/48 & the Cyber Hobby model came out pretty much at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if the same sub-contractor did the sprue layouts and tooling. Airfix models are produced in India, so it isn't a step too far to China!
Before I retired, My 3D designs ended up being sent ( electronically ) all over the world for cheapest production costs. The most extreme example was a sintercast component, which was sourced in Tasmania!!!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fuselage top & bottom joined - I didn't bother much with the cockpit(s), when the ejector seats are fitted - nice fit. Ejector seats painted - just a wash, and they will be ready to fit.P1060296.JPG

I realised I'd made an error - the small observers' window should have been fitted before joining the halves - I'm going to have to try fitting the window through the observers main window - doh!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Wings & tail booms assembledP1060301.JPG

Just dry fitted for the moment, but it makes you realise how big the Vixen was. Fit, again is excellent, but the instructions need very careful study before committing any adhesive!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks good David...with the mention of good fit , I ought to get one.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Really coming together now.........................P1060303.JPGP1060304.JPG

I did fit the forgotten little window, with a little jiggling, and blutac on a cocktail stick!
The fit is still good, generally TET run into the joints fixes the parts. You can opt to build with flaps down, and airbrake open, but I decided to do all closed.
I can see this being a tail sitter, the instructions do say add weight to the nose, but no clue how much...............P1060305.JPG

That's just the first few BB CA'd into the nose cone - more will be added in front of the cockpit, luckily the landing gear looks pretty sturdy
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the instructions do say add weight to the nose, but no clue how much...............
Since the model is mostly complete now, aside from details, you can work it out relatively easily. Set a ruler upright with some Blu Tack (long edge on your desk, of course :smiling3:) and place the model on it so the holes for the main wheels are above the ruler (it looks like they have straight legs, anyway). Then just see if the model tips forward or backward — if it goes forward, you’re already done. Should it tip backward, then stick more Blu Tack to the front of the model until the plane does tip forward, and weigh the Blu Tack.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
I use a 5mm dia brass tube as the fulcrum, it's not as precise, but good enough!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Anything that it will tip one way or the other on will do, yes :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ready for priming - the undercarriage doors were closed, unless cycling, I'll be able to brush paint the wheel wells easily enough. I'll mask off the side window, and stuff the cockpits with tissue before spraying....................
preprime 02.jpgpreprime 01.jpg

I'm going to use white primer overall, to start off.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Looks a decent kit although some parts look well detailed and others, like the seats, are rather crude. Those white metal seats are so much better. Looks like you are well on the way without any real problems. The box art is nice isn't it :thumb2:
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Everything's all white.............P1060309.JPG

AK Interactive white primer overall. I'll let this dry overnight, then, tomorrow, spray Insignia White on the lower surfaces
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I spent an hour or so masking off the white undersides - the yellow tape is more flexible, and the blue tape ( cheap! ) is used for flat portions! The inlets are plugged with wet tissue paperP1060310.JPG

I have a bad feeling about the white undersurface - I have managed to lift the basecoat AND primer in several places, so peeling the mask off, after spraying the uppersurface EDSG, will be a bit fraught.
I had washed the surface before spraying the AK Interactive white primer. I let this dry for a day, before spraying the basecoat of Hataka Insignia White.......................
I realise that I made a mistake in fixing the pylons before painting. The upper surface colour wraps round the leading edge, and the pylons make the masking much more difficult.
I'll spray the Hataka Extra Dark Sea Grey this afternoon, fingers crossed
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
This is one of the drawbacks of FAA modelling. The two tone are stark and unforgiving and they are a pain to mask!

Fingers crossed for you Dave with the unmasking.