Post War 1/72 FAA - Part 3 - Hobbyboss Hawker Seahawk FGA.6

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
!! SIGH !!
I thought that was working - but no......................P1060327.JPGP1060328.JPGP1060329.JPG

Despite my careful cleaning of the surface, leaving the primer, and the basecoat to dry for 24 hours, then using the Tamiya masking film - I still ended up with this.
P1060330.JPGP1060331.JPGP1060332.JPG

I don't think that I will be using the AK white primer, again - it may just be a compatibility issue with the Hataka Insignia white, but it didn't spray that well & I seem to have to dilute it much more than other primers.
I think I'll be able to rescue the Sea Hawk, by local sanding & repainting, but this is turning what should be a simple build into quite a chore...............:disappointed2:
Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,
Sorry to read about your woes with the paint, I'm afraid I can't offer any pointers or help.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Oh no, what a shame.

Got to suspect the primer. The only thing I’d look at is whether the thinning of the primer is necessary, and if so what’s being used.
I’m sure you’ve used your best judgement though and this is just bad luck.

D

Deleted member 7181

Darn, reminds me of my woes with Vallejo white primer.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Let's hope it works better than the AK Dave.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a little careful renovation - I'm ready to give this a gloss coatP1060333.JPGP1060334.JPG
Not perfect by any means, but acceptable in view of the paint problems. After gloss coating, decals - not far to go now.
As I seem to have overcome the paint problems on this, I'll get the Sea Vixen out of its' hiding place, and have a fiddle with that...................
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The only thing I’d look at is whether the thinning of the primer is necessary
I think Chris has hit the nail on the head here Dave. I was having the same trouble with Stynylrez. That is, the primer was lifting on two different builds. I was using just a tiny amount of water to thin, so I stopped doing this, upped the pressure on the AB (just to get the primer through the thing) and so far, all is ok.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, I've not been doing anything different from many previous builds - apart from the AK White Primer. I've uses Stynylrez Grey Primer before, without problems, so I hope the white will solve the problems.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decals added. Odd thing is that there are 3 sets of stencils, ie 6 ejector seat warning triangles etc.
P1060337.JPGP1060338.JPG

There are a few aerials to add, plus the undercarriage, but not many bits left. I'll give a quick gloss spray over the decals, then see if I can get a light wash on the white undersidesP1060339.JPG
I hand painted the canopy frames, and dry fitted to see if there any gaps - none......
Dave