Prefered Paint Brushes

A

Awins

Views sort after for your preferred paint brush makes please. I understand that Winsor and Newton are of top quality but also carry a very high price tag too.

Which makes and types do you use and why do you prefer these?

Cheer Guys

First Name
Richard
Hi Alan,

ok so here is my opinion on cheap and expensive brushes and good and bad quality.

over the years i used many different kinds of brushes and have to say,'' go for sable brushes '', most of them are soft and take the paint well enough so you can work with it.

I had some bad experience with the revell kind. later I tried the Da vinci Humbrol and Vallejo brushes those are good but then I tried the Windsor and Newton brushes and ''i was blown away of the quality and the way they give of the paint''. I know these are expensive ones but they are worth every penny.

here is what i use my brushes for:

Faces : Windsor & Newton

Clothes : Humbrol Vallejo and Da Vinci

washes : old and cheap

dry brushing : old and cheap

Chipping : Old hard brushes.

Its just my opinion. But i hope it helps.

Cheers Richi

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Hi Alan,
ok so here is my opinion on cheap and expensive brushes and good and bad quality.

over the years i used many different kinds of brushes and have to say,'' go for sable brushes '', most of them are soft and take the paint well enough so you can work with it.

I had some bad experience with the revell kind. later I tried the Da vinci Humbrol and Vallejo brushes those are good but then I tried the Windsor and Newton brushes and ''i was blown away of the quality and the way they give of the paint''. I know these are expensive ones but they are worth every penny.

Cheers Richi
Ok Richi I will agree with you on that one, I use the old cheapies for washes the stiff cheapies for chipping and oil stains etc etc but I'm having trouble with my faces so I'm prepared to pay a little bit for a decent result

I have a selection of humbrol flats ( they are supposed to hold paint but I find not as good as my more detail brushes

What size w and n do you use and do you have a price guide

:rolleyes:

Robert

L

Laurie

Agree with Richard sable are the best they retain their spring and position. Coming from an architectural back ground I spent many months learning how to colour drawings. The most important bit was to lean on your brush and you can only do that with sable. Do not let the brush control if you lean the brush onto the surface you have full control it will only do what you let it do. Watch a sign writer he leans on the brush and sweeps it around in perfect forms as if the brush is on wheels. As the sign writer you need to rest the wrist against a hard support. You then have full control.

Next is you need pointed ones and flat ones. Next you need fat ones and thin ones.

Also try these http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/acrylic-paints/paintbrushes/brush-packs.html. Micro Brushes bottom of the page. Brilliant for lots of things. A line around a piece of plastic making good paint. Applying Mr Surfacer 500 filler. They need not be thrown away just stick in a bit of Vallejo airbrush Cleaner (IPA for Mr Surfacer) for 15 mins and as good as new.

A tip for the Acrylics. The paint tends to accumulate at the stock of the brush. Leave soaking in Vallejo airbrush Cleaner for 24 hours and all the paint in the stock will soften. Work it loose stick in the Cleaner gain for an hour then wash out and it will be as good as new. Make sure it is suspended in the cleaner to ensure the bristles are not bent. After washing i shape by using the lips (moistened of course with real alcohol not IPA).

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Hi Alan,

Cheers Richi
very much the with Richi on all the above, ;)

for faces,and detail work will buy better ones,from 000,down and i just go to the art shop,and have a look at whats there,and how much,

and see if it suits my budget,

and ask the staff for there advice with what people are mostly using and if it fits what i can afford,

as for cheapo one,s just go to the $2.oo shop and get a pack of 110 diffidence size and cut down to suits my style of painting, ;)

First Name
Adrian
I would get the Micro brushes online you can get 200 for the price your paying for 25 in the shop ( plus P&P ), yes they come from Hong Kong and take a little longer but it's all about saving money for me, they normally arrive with a week

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-Micro-Brushes-Eyelash-Extensions-Disposable-Swab-Applicator-Makeup-Tools-/191217887726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2c857969ee

I bought these for oil washes, again with free delivery and came in 2 days

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331060982703?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These are my all purpose ones I use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ITALERI-SET-OF-6-SABLE-PAINT-BRUSHES-/261893687050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfa14870a

Plus I have a few 5x0 brushes for small detail

Adrian

zuludog

SMF Supporter
At one time the choice was sable and not much else; or at least not much else that was any good. Now there are all sorts of synthetic and sable + synthetic mixtures available, as well as pure sable.

Why not just go to your local art or craft shop and try a few different ones?. My local Do It All store closed and was re-opened as 'Range' and they seem to have a decent selection at reasonable prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

For fine work, I used Tamiya's ultra fine paint brush for detail painting. This offers very good control for $12 at my local hobby shop. For the others, i use synthetic brushes. Paint brushes. My primary brush however, is my Iwata Airbrush. Not quite a paintbrush, but you get what I mean :smiling3:

John

First Name
Richard
\ said:
What size w and n do you use and do you have a price guide
I use the 0, 00, 000, 1 series 7 price is about 10 bucks in the UK a piece

got mine here LINK

Last edited by a moderator:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The W&N brushes are expensive but looked after they last for years, I have a 0 and a 00, I have never needed anything finer even for faces in 1/72nd. I have cheaper Daler-Rowney sable brushes in 1, 2 and 4 for bigger jobs and a selection of other brushes, often retired from their primary use for washes, dry brushing, stippling etc.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have just found ' Daler Rowney' aquafine brushes ( Watercolour version - seem to hold the paint better, especially for painting washes onto faces !) painted a 1/32 face using a number 1 brush without any issues at all.

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/daler-rowney-aquafine-brushes-round-1/602136-1000#product_description-tab