Preserving real twigs/branches from plants.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
A quick question to all you diorama guru's out there ( @spanner570 maybe?). How would i go about preserving any twigs/branches i find suitable to use for trees/bushes in a diorama so that they don't deteriorate?

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
with greenery mix glycerin available from any chemist for a few pounds and mix with warm water 50/50 thoroughly mix and allow to cool. I usually make two batches in old take away pots but any container with a lid is suitable. I mix will have the plain mix the other will have the mix with a few drops of green food colouring in this will help it keep the colour. Add the items you want to preserve and ensure they are covered and kept below the surface of the liquid. Allow then to soak for 24-48 hours. Then remove lay out on kitchen towel until dry. They can then be fixed using white glue or CA. HTH.
You can then also use clear laquer or paint if you require.
Small twigs I don't bother preserving.

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. So basically i can either preserve or leave then. Just thinking about doing a dio with a tank (yes possibly a stug @Bobthestug lol). Never done a dio before so a world of firsts for me.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Al'
Same as Andy.
I don't treat my stuff either.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I hang my roots and twigs to dry at least for a week then coat them with varnish before painting.

Cheers,
Richard

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Did i hear a Stug mentioned??

Stug will have to wait Bob. I've just ordered a load of paints from John lol. Although i did see a cheap 1/35 Revell King tiger on evilbay. Not sure how good they are though

I hang my roots and twigs to dry at least for a week then coat them with varnish before painting.

Sorry for the dumb question. But what type of varnish?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan I've just seen this so rather late,
Paul Aka Scottie is spot on in his method.
As has been mentioned some people don't bother, the only drawback with that is that the items can dry out and become brittle. The glycerine mix does give an amount of flex in some pieces of material and stops the item from rotting .
There is another way of using sand ,dry of course and even salt, however I've not tried either of those .
I have some sea grass that was done 3 years ago and it's still plyable. Small roots like the bramble will last without any treatment for a number of years, above ground cuttings will eventually succumb and crumble .
John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oops!
I thought Alan just wanted to know how to preserve twigs and branches.

I really should get out my bus pass and go to specsavers - If I can see where the bit of plastic is of course!

• Haha
Reactions: JR