PRETTYJOHNS VC

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
HI all
I realised that I never posted this finished bust.

It is of PrettyJohns VC who was the first Royal Marine VC, hence the blue ribbon to the VC. he was awarded it for actions during the Crimean War.

The medals were a real pain to sculpt - they took 3 or 4 attempts and a lot of hair being pulled out!

Keep well
PeterBust prettyjohns painted by Gillson.jpgBust Prettyjohns VC.jpgPrettyjohnd VC bust.jpgPrettyjohns Vc bust by Peter Gillson.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful bust Peter. The medals were worth all the trouble. Lovely work

D

Deleted member 6559

Lovely work Peter. Your work on he medals and insignia in particular is without equal.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Really fine sculpt. I can well imagine the medals driving you demented but the end result is superb and are such a major part of the bust.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

Thanks for the compliments. Here is my home made tool for making the medals which I only made after a few failed attempts at the medals.

Made from scrap brass rod, the end is pushed into thin putty, you can just see that it is a sleeve of brass around a brass tube, the groove around the edge where the copper sleeve does not come right to the end of the length of rod is used to make the raised edge of the medal.

F80E9E91-2E1E-46AB-B669-8FF132324AEC.jpeg
The outer, aluminium sleeve has been filed sharp and pushed down to cut the medal
97CD267F-2151-4E14-AB3E-AC799D18304A.jpeg

The putty is left to cure before being fixed to the bust. I had about a 1 in 4 success rate with this tool which isn't bad. The key was remembering to dust it with talc after each press.

Peter

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely painting of the medals Peter and what a nifty tool. The home made ones always gives a different perspective of satisfaction. :thumb2: I particularly like the sleeve as a cutter.

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks Richard. yes, it is fun making my own tools and jigs, satisfying when they work.

peter

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Great work on the bust. Just a quick question why does the marine VC have a blue ribbon?

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Paul

thanks for the compliment.

Good question - up to the creation of the RAF the colour of the ribbon depended of the arm of service - red for the Army and blue for the Navy. Being a Royal Marine he was awarded the blue of the navy.

peter

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul

thanks for the compliment.

Good question - up to the creation of the RAF the colour of the ribbon depended of the arm of service - red for the Army and blue for the Navy. Being a Royal Marine he was awarded the blue of the navy.

peter
Thanks mate. I never knew that.