Primer as base coat

L

Levi van den Berg

So ik building a big kit and my primer is white and the ship also needs to be white. So is it oke if I don't put white paint over the white primer because I'm gonna seal it anyway with a. Clear coat so....?

T

Topcat

I use a different primary colour so I can see where I need to spray next colour, otherwise I may miss areas. You could use a light grey?

Reactions: JR
L

Levi van den Berg

I use a different primary colour so I can see where I need to spray next colour, otherwise I may miss areas. You could use a light grey?
Yeah but I mean can I just use white primer and than a clear coat because if I would have to spray white paint over it it would cost way more money

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Levi
I think using the primer as a base coat would be fine. Some modellers do not use a primer anyway, just paint on the base coat. So only a single coat.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I normally use white primer as the only paint if I need the model to be white but the material isn’t. It covers better than normal white paint, and I don’t see the point in putting white paint over white primer unless it’s to make it gloss, for example.

Last edited:
S

Scale Model Podcast

I've done that before, I had an Airfix old tool 1/72 Defiant in an all black night fighter scheme and it came out very well.