Primer color ?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I normally use black as a primer, for me ideal for panzer grey

But the bismarck turret is light sea grey, what primer color is best, i think black would be too dark to cover??

Thanks bob

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Humbrol Dark Sea Grey or Extra Dark Sea Grey will act as a primer, give you a less severe base colour, and will allow shadowed areas to gain some depth with careful overspray.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I use a neutral grey generally, but I do use black, white & red primer, obviously depending on the final topcoat - some colours, like red need a red primer - a metallic finish works best over a black primer - and if you have a snow white topcoat, then a white primer works best. For most other colours grey works fine. I don't go overboard when spraying primer, just a light coat is normally enough to give that even tone base needed for a good topcoat
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s a plastic model, so I don’t really see the need for primer at all. At least if you’ll be spraying it with something like Tamiya or Mr. Hobby acrylics, or any enamel or lacquer paint, anyway.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Primer does several things Jakko, as you know. It evens out the starting point for the top colour (essential for transparent colours such as red), it shows any construction flaws before you put the top coat on (essential for bare metal and high gloss finishes), and for some models that that will be handled it improves adhesion of the top coat. It also makes it easier to brush paint onto, because not everyone uses an airbrush.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Since we’re talking about a ship here, high gloss, translucency, metallic etc. aren’t really a concern, I think, so the main reason would be either adhesion or, like you say, to spot flaws. I’m saying that for adhesion, it’s not necessary with many kinds of paint.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have a kit for what is basically a white car so do I need a white primer, no primer or just a coat of flat white to start with?

Andy.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If you plan to make a garage full of white cars, then get some white primer! If it's a one off, then get neutral grey primer - it's pretty universal in its' use - you just have to take a bit more care with the topcoat. That's just my take - I know others have their own opinions!
Dave

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I normally use black as a primer, for me ideal for panzer grey

But the bismarck turret is light sea grey, what primer color is best, i think black would be too dark to cover??

Thanks bob
The question is do you want a pristine finish? I use black primer under everything, including yellow (although with yellow a light coat of sand primer over the black helps). This facilitates colour modulation and to create a more worn/used look. For a pristine finish it might be best to use a neutral colour, perhaps white over grey plastic.