Probably the daftest question to date...

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Me again...

Don't laugh, (oh go on then) but is there any tips regarding painting/spraying parts on a sprue then touching up after removal from said sprue?

Basically, very small parts I spray, but on removal the part has an obvious unpainted spot...my issue is that I won't brush paint this as it won't match and it seems pointless mixing up paint for such a small area!

Am I missing something?

Del

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I've found using the exact same paint and building it up in layers and you tend not to see the touch up.

Though I rather remove the part, drill a small hole in the contact point and push it onto a cocktail stick.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I've found using the exact same paint and building it up in layers and you tend not to see the touch up.

Though I rather remove the part, drill a small hole in the contact point and push it onto a cocktail stick.
I like that idea!
Thanks Karl.
Del

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I do the same as Karl. I very rarely paint on the sprue. Touch up is a problem but the main difficulty is not being able to dry fit the part or clean it up - seam lines and flash. Also there is a real risk of glue marks spoiling the paint. I'd remove the part, clean it up and check it fits and then find a way to hold it. Cocktail sticks, double sided tape etc.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I do the same as Karl. I very rarely paint on the sprue. Touch up is a problem but the main difficulty is not being able to dry fit the part or clean it up - seam lines and flash. Also there is a real risk of glue marks spoiling the paint. I'd remove the part, clean it up and check it fits and then find a way to hold it. Cocktail sticks, double sided tape etc.
Jim

What he said!

The only time I paint stuff while it's still on the sprue is if the attachment point is somewhere that won't be seen once it's assembled. Once you've removed the part from the sprue and cleaned up the attachment point and any seams/flash you can't get to while it's attached, you're almost certain to have to repaint anyway - why do the job twice?