Problem plastic

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Bit of a random query perhaps....

I've been tinkering with a Takom kit recently and when I unwrapped the sprues they felt very slippery, like they'd been coated in a silicone spray or something similar.

I gave them all a good wash in soapy water which didn't seem to have much effect. Now I'm looking to start laying some primer on a few bits so I wiped the parts with IPA and this also doesn't appear to have made much difference. Needless to say, my favoured primer - styrylnez- isn't too happy about giving it's usual lovely finish.

Any ideas or tips on how to deal with this????? Different primer? Another pre-treatment?

Thanks Guys as always...

Nick

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Nick
Strange that soap and IPA didn't work. Perhaps try lighter fluid. Brush on, it evaporates almost immediately, I use it on parts that have been handled a lot.
May not do any good but worth a go.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Only thing I can suggest is to scrub them down with dish soap and an old toothbrush, and then rinse in clean water. This should physically remove the contaminant which then gets sequestered by the dish soap, stopping it being redeposited. The rinse is important though because residual dish soap will stop paint adhering as well.
Something like IPA won’t work because it doesn’t physically remove the grease unless you use a bath of it. All that happens with wiping is the grease gets solvated in the IPA, then redeposited as the solvent evaporates.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Thanks for your responses guys. Food for thought there. The dish soap and toothbrush is my default method. Might be out looking for lighter fluid tomorrow....

Nick

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Most kits these days don’t have a problem or only a minor one so I usually just use ipa to wipe a model down. This is usually enough but sometimes you get a really bad case, perhaps the first out of the moulds, when ipa is not enough. In such cases a bath in warm soapy water, left to soak for an hour or so, followed by a brush down with a toothbrush and a rinsing is needed. Then I will also follow up with ipa as a belt and braces. I have to say that I have only had one kit bad enough for this full treatment over the last few years though, a couple of times I have found ipa wiping alone, while helping, did not completely solve the problem.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Yeah I have some white spirit i can try and meths is fairly easy to find. Interesting ref the 'long soak' Barry I am certainly guilty of the quick soak, scrub and splash.... :smiling:

Thanks again guys.

Nick