Project Merlin

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul wow what wonderfull woodworking skills you have i really love it an it so neat an tidy you certainly deservse to be in the T'B'C' very well done that man :thumb2:
chris

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Absolutely brilliant - the fact that it'll stand up without support just dry assembled proves how well it's made. :thumb2:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
HI Paul wow what wonderfull woodworking skills you have i really love it an it so neat an tidy you certainly deservse to be in the T'B'C' very well done that man :thumb2:
chris

Thanks Chris - much appreciated. I shall hopefully receive membership soon - hopefully in time for the annual dinner dance. :smiling: :thumb2:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hello Folks,

I've just stumbled across some old photos from around 2001/2 of the staircase I started to make for the original model of Project Merlin. It's this model which ended up under one of the workshop benches where it collected loads of dust for many years. When I moved out of the 'shop during 2018, I left the model there, together with lots of other stuff. It was damaged etc, and as I was venturing into a new career, I couldn't see the point in keeping it.

I'm posting these photos for hopeful feedback on the brickwork:- I cut each brick individually from balsa wood, removed the arris (or formed it - I can never remember which is for woodwork or engineering), laid each brick with PVA to form each course; then pasted a glue/powder filler mix over the whole lot; once dry, I then painted the mustardy colour to replicate a mortar, and then painted each brick individually. The central column is pine and I sculptured the figure using a scalpel (a bit crude I know - the carving and not the figure!), and the treads/risers are also balsa wood.

I'm thinking about adopting a similar method for the current model, but using a mixed variety of colours for the bricks & brick slips - reds, oranges, yellows, greys etc. Perhaps a darker mortar.

So, question is... do I buy actual miniature bricks & slips, or make my own similar to below?? :thinking:

Over to you guys. :smiling: :thumb2:

TIA :cool:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Skilled stuff. The bricks sound to be a huge amount of work but look very effective. If you don't mind the time and effort I'd do the same again.
Jim

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
Skilled stuff. The bricks sound to be a huge amount of work but look very effective. If you don't mind the time and effort I'd do the same again.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Cheers. Yes, quite a bit of work, but very enjoyable, and I have lots of 2.4mm oak construction veneer which should do the job. That's great feedback - thanks. :smiling4:

I'm keeping extra busy and burning off nervous energy today - hence the above post. I was going to post the old stair up over the weekend, but I've done it this morning instead. We've just dropped our dog off at the vets for sedation and a scan. I noticed blood in his pee a couple of days ago. I took him to the vets yesterday with a pee sample and they don't think it's an infection, so they wanted him back today to scan his bladder and kidneys. They're suspecting bladder/kidney stones but have warned me it could be more sinister. Poor little chap is petrified of the vets and I'm scared for him. I'm praying his diagnosis is a small stone and easily treated. We're now waiting for the vet's phone call later this afternoon. I don't think I can concentrate on woodwork today. I might have to clean the cars or do a bit of gardening maybe. Thanks again. :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
All the best for your little friend.
We have a collie cross. She will be 16 in June so is really on borrowed time. She is still quite fit for her age and can still manage a decent walk although she sleeps a lot. She was diagnosed with kidney problems about eighteen months ago but a special diet and medication seems to be doing the trick. She also hates the vet. We have had dogs all our married life and they are part of the family so it's natural to worry about them.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Jim,

Cheers. Yes, quite a bit of work, but very enjoyable, and I have lots of 2.4mm oak construction veneer which should do the job. That's great feedback - thanks. :smiling4:

I'm keeping extra busy and burning off nervous energy today - hence the above post. I was going to post the old stair up over the weekend, but I've done it this morning instead. We've just dropped our dog off at the vets for sedation and a scan. I noticed blood in his pee a couple of days ago. I took him to the vets yesterday with a pee sample and they don't think it's an infection, so they wanted him back today to scan his bladder and kidneys. They're suspecting bladder/kidney stones but have warned me it could be more sinister. Poor little chap is petrified of the vets and I'm scared for him. I'm praying his diagnosis is a small stone and easily treated. We're now waiting for the vet's phone call later this afternoon. I don't think I can concentrate on woodwork today. I might have to clean the cars or do a bit of gardening maybe. Thanks again. :thumb2:
HI Paul hope your doggie is ok i know its horrible when you think the worst anyway hopein for the best for him an you
ATB CHRIS AN JEN

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope the dog fairs well at the Vet.

Beautiful work Jim, a pleasure to look at.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hello Chaps,

Thanks very much for all your kind words. I though I'd reply this way.

Our beautiful little boy, Colin, sadly has a tumour on his bladder with a prognosis of 6 months at the very best. He'll be 11 next month and we've had him since a puppy. My wife and I are in bits and it pains me writing this. We really thought he was going to make old age. Apart from the colour of his pee (which has already progressed from pink to a dark red since yesterday), he looks healthy and is active as ever. It's so unfair. A few days a go, our life was relaxed, normal and happy, but yesterday, it was turned upside down. We're trying to keep positive for him and to enjoy what time we have left with him. It's so difficult. We keep breaking down, which is normal I guess. Sorry for rambling on. We both feel so privileged to have had our endearing and gentle little soul mate in our lives for almost 11 years so far. He follows me everywhere. He's sat with me as I write this. We obviously don't want him to suffer, and as the tumour progresses with imminent suffering, we shall call the vet to come to us and be with him to the end, to pass and fly off with the angels. In that sense, we shall never lose him - he will always be with us. We are going to keep things as normal as possible and I shall get on with some woodwork on Monday. Thanks for listening and my apologies for pouring out my emotions.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
For some, losing a dog is like losing a child, and I'll have words with anyone who challenges that. It being "expected" makes no difference. The bit I find most heartbreaking is that they don't lose any love, or happiness, even when they're ill. Personally, I think the aliens are waiting for them to take over before visiting us.

Pour out your feelings when and where you need to my friend, if it helps you deal with it, and of course best wishes from another cynophilist.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your wife. I know how you feel having been in the same position. You have given the little fellow the best life you could. Now enjoy and cherish the time you have left and when the time comes you will know and hard as it will be you'll do what is right for Colin.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’m so sorry to hear this Paul. We’ve just gone through it with our old tabby, a true friend for eighteen years, so I know exactly how you feel. Try to enjoy what time you have left and do what’s best for him when you have to. Animals give us unconditional love and unbounded joy so that is our part of the bargain.