Project Merlin

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hello Folks! :smiling:

I've just joined the group (thanks Admin) and this is my first post.

This is going to be a lengthy build.

Twenty years ago, my dream was to design & build a bespoke oak framed Tudor styled house for myself, which I code named 'Project Merlin'. I completed the preliminary drawing work and started to build a 1:10 scaled model. My busy professional life at the time gave me little time to spend on Project Merlin, and consequently over time, it became a distant memory.

The partially built model ended up under a large bench in my old workshop gathering lots of dust. When I closed the workshop doors for the very last time during 2018, I left loads of stuff behind including the incomplete model of Project Merlin. The old drawing negatives are still in my parents’ loft bound together in a large roll with many other drawing negatives. Over the last weeks, I have re-designed and prepared a new set of 1:50 drawings using Microsoft Publisher – quite different to the old traditional A0X drawing board, but thoroughly enjoyable, nonetheless.

I have designed this project to actual measurement and scale with traditional construction methods as if it were going to be an actual full-size build If this were a full-size build, it probably wouldn’t meet with the current Building Regulations Fire Safety & Means of Escape. The drawings are self-explanatory, although the sectional elevations look busy and require a bit of studying to see what’s what. If I make the model at 1:12, the actual size will be 666mm wide x 1358mm long x 783mm high, or, I might make it at 1:15.

I'm now preparing a material list and getting ready to start the build.

Hope you like. :smiling:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Cheers.

:cool:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's certainly something different. Watching with interest, looks like a fascinating project.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Paul. I’m with Pete on this one.....looks really interesting. There are a couple of old wood butchers on here that will love it as well....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
A warm welcome to a great, friendly forum.
Looks like a very interesting project. Certainly very different. I'll follow your progress with interest.
Jim (another Shropshire resident )

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul. I’m with Pete on this one.....looks really interesting. There are a couple of old wood butchers on here that will love it as well....

Hi Tim, and thanks.

Haha, I haven't heard that expression in a while - 'old wood butchers'.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
A warm welcome to a great, friendly forum.
Looks like a very interesting project. Certainly very different. I'll follow your progress with interest.
Jim (another Shropshire resident )

Hi Jim, and thanks very much.

Originally from Dorset. We moved up to Shropshire just over a year ago, but little did we know (like all of us) what was just around the corner. Beautiful county.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome to the forum Paul, an impressive set of drawings.

One of the Old wood butchers here, AKA 453 the other one will without doubt make his appearance as soon as Matron has dealt with him ! AKA 570
Shall follow along from the front row please.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Paul, an impressive set of drawings.

One of the Old wood butchers here, AKA 453 the other one will without doubt make his appearance as soon as Matron has dealt with him ! AKA 570
Shall follow along from the front row please.

Thanks John. Haha, good old Matron.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum :smiling4:
Another interested party here....nice to see other types of models being covered :thumb2:

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hello Paul, that is some project you have there, love the detail drawings.

Andy.

D

Deleted member 5496

Some project Paul. I spent 50 years to the day in architecture. This gives me a great interest in this having produced numerous models for architectural reality.

Will you, as it certainly calls for it, be building the finished works in a diorama. Depending on the era & scale vintage ehicles would certainly enhance the finished work. It would look fine with horse & carriage but probably finding horses of the scale & authenticity may be difficult.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Laurie