Protar kits.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A mate of mine has asked me to build a kit for him, the kit in question is a 1/9 scale Protar Ducati 916 motorcycle. I know nothing about Protar kits and I was wondering as he has had it untouched in the box for 20 years is it worth more in the box than built. He bought it on a whim, looked in the box and though there is no way I can build this and put it in a cupboard, the box is mint and all the sprues are still in the unopened bags, what does the collective think, build it or leave it for another 20 years?

Andy.

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
Sorry mate I have never heard of them. Have you had a look on scalemates to see if there is a review on the kit.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I've only built the one - their JAWA Speedway bike, 'fun' to do, what with the working crankshaft/piston assembly (works by when the rear wheel is turned, rubber 'chains' to the clutch and a second one to the crank end) from what I remember, the destructions were good and clear.
I'd say to build it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I made the BMW & sidecar many years ago it was a multi media model, very novel for its time. There are quite a few Protar models on ebay going for good prices - If the model is complete and in good condition, then I would say sell it on to a collector, and use the proceeds to buy other models! I don't like 'collecters' much, but if selling one model can finance several models, then I'd swallow my conscience & go for it! ;)
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm with Dave on this one.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I made the BMW & sidecar many years ago it was a multi media model, very novel for its time. There are quite a few Protar models on ebay going for good prices - If the model is complete and in good condition, then I would say sell it on to a collector, and use the proceeds to buy other models! I don't like 'collecters' much, but if selling one model can finance several models, then I'd swallow my conscience & go for it! ;)
Dave
Dave, the kit is not mine to sell hence the question to build or keep. I think I would enjoy building it but if it's worth more mint in the box then it is up to him what happens to it.

Andy.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
There are several Protar videos on YouTube.....................
looks impressive
Dave

• Wow
Reactions: JR

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I remember attempting one as a teenager. It was the first kit I'd bought that had various metal parts. I think I finished it, but never went for another.

Italeri have re-issued a few ex-Protar kits lately in 1/9 scale...

Nick

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Update, the guy insists he wants it built and I got the full story today. It seems his wife saw a real 916 many years ago and thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world so he bought the kit for her birthday, as they are both keen on bikes he reckoned he would build it for her, until he opened the box. I know the guy well and mechanical aptitude is just not his thing and for everything his bike needs it goes in to the local bike shop. So, it looks like I will have a lot of fun building and painting a motorcycle for a wee change.

Andy.