Protar Porsche 956 1/24 Metal Body!

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I found this very old model bought from Italy on Ebay going cheap. Tatty box but complete - the decals have a little cracking on them but hopefully will go on OK . Not a lot of parts but its the overall finish I am looking for ...
Now comes the 'interesting' part for me , not having played with metal before, I liked the idea of a bit of weight with the model .
The main bodywork has a very small area where the doors will attach and it has broken in transit , don't think it will be a problem - what would be the best glue for this job ?
DSC06546.jpgDSC06547.JPGDSC06549.jpgDSC06551.JPGDSC06545.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If it solders, I would agree with Nick. However, if it’s Mazak or similar (dinky toy type metal) it won’t soft solder, so I would recommend two part epoxy followed by cellulose filler to smooth out the joint. The glue lands look quite small so anything else like superglue will probably fracture during assembly.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If it solders, I would agree with Nick. However, if it’s Mazak or similar (dinky toy type metal) it won’t soft solder, so I would recommend two part epoxy followed by cellulose filler to smooth out the joint. The glue lands look quite small so anything else like superglue will probably fracture during assembly.

Thanks for both suggestions - I'm going with the two part epoxy........

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good man. You’ll need something like blu tac to support the join while the glue dries.....

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
DSC06552.JPGDSC06742.JPGDSC06743.JPG

A little progress, but a long way to go to make this look half decent !

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There has been quite a delay as I had to buy new decals from Italy as the old ones were beyond saving ( I did have a play with them ! ) The originals were designed to be applied to an all white body but the new ones require blue painted sides etc.

The epoxy worked fine and all was well with a nice coat of primer then white all over ( spray can and brush only )
polished again and en route to the spray booth ( garden shed and rattle can ) when disaster struck as I managed to drop it from waist height onto a concrete path ..........

At which point the bonnet and side panels parted company with the body !!
Oh how I laughed as I had to reattach what looked like the perfect original into a not quite so good second try .

Now got a couple of coats of blue on and will mask up and hopefully make a better fist of the paint , eventually...

DSC06770.JPGDSC06771.JPGDSC06772.JPG

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well after a delay of 4 months the Porsche is just about done. I travel a lot and have been away in France since August but now finally got round to it again ! The mirrors and windscreen wiper are all thats left to do, but they will have to wait till I am back in France where the car remains. It has been interesting working with the metal bodywork which adds a nice weight to the model .
Now for a bit of Quarantining :sick::thumb2:

DSC07108.JPGIMG_5428.JPGDSC07115.jpgDSC07116.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s really good. Can’t see the joins at all, which is a tribute to your workmanship.