Prototypes worth modelling-The Druine/Rollason Turbulent.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Designed by Roger Druine in France as 'the peoples aeroplane' the delightful lines of this home built design attracted the interests of the British company Rollason Aircraft & Engines,this company built their own version in some numbers which were flown by members of the Tiger club,late of Redhill airfield but now elsewhere.

The constant chord wings and spacious fuselage are ideal for model building,however one word of warning here,as the original has wingtip leading edge built in slots there is a temptation to emulate them,dont ! after test flying two examples that were kitted these just do not appear to work as well as on the full size machine,in fact they work most erratically and in both cases the model adopted a peculier nose up attitude,blanking them off with tape and the model became a pussy cat.

There was a plan given away with Aeromodeller some years back and several kits and plans have been done,but with its simple no fuss lines drawing her up should prove fairly easy for anyone with a few simple school draughting skills.

View attachment 7149

/monthly_2004_11/57272b6c6249d_CranfieldSun035.jpg.54b1d94135aae9c10cf67357836050d1.jpg

View attachment 11794

View attachment 11844

View attachment 12444

Cranfield Sun 035.jpg

B

Bondie5552

Hello Barry I.m new to this forum --I found it as I hunted for info regarding the Turbulent.

I bought A Turbulent kit 90 percent finished through BMFA Classifieds (£100) The seller sugested a courier would be safer than PO so I chose www.postvan.co.uk

The wing was virtually destroyed in transit I;m still waiting for the Fuz. that I understand is not too bad. Postvan said the wing and fuz was wrapperd up together in 2 plastic bin bags and insurance was out of the question

The seller blaims the courier (should not have accepted it if it was not secure).

So Barry the purpose of this letter is to see if you can suggest anywhere I can buy a wing kit or any other help you can think of --as I suppose you know the kit is obsolete I have tried SLEC --No hope--

I paid Postvan £16.39 Then they wanted another £16.39 to pack it properly and send it on

Any advice or help woulld be most appreciated

by John Bond

john@bond5552.freeserve.co.uk

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hello Barry I.m new to this forum --I found it as I hunted for info regarding the Turbulent. I bought A Turbulent kit 90 percent finished through BMFA Classifieds (£100) The seller sugested a courier would be safer than PO so I chose www.postvan.co.uk

The wing was virtually destroyed in transit I;m still waiting for the Fuz. that I understand is not too bad. Postvan said the wing and fuz was wrapperd up together in 2 plastic bin bags and insurance was out of the question

The seller blaims the courier (should not have accepted it if it was not secure).

So Barry the purpose of this letter is to see if you can suggest anywhere I can buy a wing kit or any other help you can think of --as I suppose you know the kit is obsolete I have tried SLEC --No hope--

I paid Postvan £16.39 Then they wanted another £16.39 to pack it properly and send it on

Any advice or help woulld be most appreciated

by John Bond

john@bond5552.freeserve.co.uk
*** Hello John,what a lot of bad luck here,imagine placing a model into a bin bag and expecting it to survive a courier ? the only way to send models is with a custom built crate,by co-incidence at this very moment I am making one up to store and transport some models to shows, and will photograph the sequence and do a tutorial on this in due course.

However this does not help your dilemma,as a quick and easy solution can I suggest that you get some veneer covered foam wings made up,you will need to join them yourself and make balsa wingtips plus fit the servos etc at least it will get you flying with this model,take a look at the back of any aircraft radio model magazine and you will see foam wing cutting services offered,some you just fax the rib shape and give the dimensions,pay by credit card and they do the rest.

You can still find this kit on the shelves of some shops or you could advertise for a crashed machine to get spares as well,if you are prepared to do a bit of research you could find an example to use as a spares source.

Depending on how bad the damage is a repair is not out of the question,however in view of what you have said I would be reluctant to pay any more cash out to retrieve a bag of bits,poor show on the courier who is adding insult to injury.

I hope that you find a solution to this problem and above all if buying models in the future,make sure that the seller is prepared to make a proper coffin to transport the precious goods and ensure that you receive them in good order.

This reminds me of a similar incident when a shop owner who ordered an ARTF wing from the manufacturers simply sent it away to the customer by wrapping it in some pop-wrap ! the owner of the resulting bag of bits was not amused to say the least !

B

Bondie5552

To continue the thread of the Turbulent can you tell me where I can get some pics of the upper and lower views of the plane you have in your heading (Prototypes Worth Modelling) -Iwould like to try that colour scheme with Glosstex.

John

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
To continue the thread of the Turbulent can you tell me where I can get some pics of the upper and lower views of the plane you have in your heading (Prototypes Worth Modelling) -Iwould like to try that colour scheme with Glosstex. John
*** From memory John the leading edge of the wing is mid-blue curving around to the wingtip,I doubt whether you can get hold of any photographs of the views that you want there,except if you arrange to see the real machine and study it yourself.The registration only appears on the lower port wing but not the top surfaces,it does look a very attractive colour I agree.

I think that you could eaasily get by without a photograph.