Prototypes worth modelling-The Piper Cub.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Piper Cub looks as if it was designed by an aeromodeller,having had the pleasure of flying both the fullsize and the model I can testify that they both handle exactly the same,and above all are a sheer delight in both aspects.

William Piper was on to a real winner with this one and it is true to say that it introduced flying to many people in the street.

Another good thing is your model can be finished either as a civvie aircraft or as a military aircraft in the field as one of the many 'Grasshopper' category used by the U.S.A.A.F in Europe.

Like the P-51 kits abound for the dear little Cub,and you would have to go a long way to find a scale subject like this that flies just as a sports model does,they make good trainers as well so if you like your models to look real the Cub is for you.

View attachment 7064

/monthly_2004_10/57272b6bde519_480133EGKA280804IJHD.jpg.20c0d40c59dd21395ff7eb1290c7056c.jpg

View attachment 11709

View attachment 12359

480133EGKA280804IJH#D.jpg

B

Bluewavestudios

Indeed an ideal model Barry......was my first R/C Plane too, in fact the markings on mine were very close to this one 44 - D, same colours and invasion stripes as per the one above. The one I built was for .15 to .19 engines. I cut my plans to shreds when I made it but ordered a new set which I have safely put away. Might still find a use for that spare PAW .19 yet.

I had many hours of enjoyment flying mine.

Regards........Mark.

M

Malcolm Fisher

Indeed an ideal model Barry......was my first R/C Plane too, in fact the markings on mine were very close to this one 44 - D, same colours and invasion stripes as per the one above. The one I built was for .15 to .19 engines. I cut my plans to shreds when I made it but ordered a new set which I have safely put away. Might still find a use for that spare PAW .19 yet.I had many hours of enjoyment flying mine.

Regards........Mark.
Was it the "freebie" from Aeoromodeller?

I built one of these and, like you, used a PAW 19R/C.

Swapped this for a PAW 2.49 because I needed an extra servo for something else - the 2.49 had no throttle.

The plane flew better with the smaller engine and I always flew the tank dry - dead stick landings were no problem as I started flying R/C with gliders where every landing is "dead stick"

Cheers

Malcolm