PT-76 i think

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I think because I threw the box away ,looking to do something that I could try a few things on without wasting a good kit this was pulled from the stash ,bought I think at the club show four or five years ago for a tenner so nothing ventured nothing gained, the whole thing built ok till it came to the tracks rubber things probably been in the box for best part of twenty years badly twisted half inch short each side and the primer flaked off ,I'm not spending double or triple what I paid for it for new tracks so THE BOTTOM HALF WILL NEVER BE FINISHED but as I said I just wanted to enjoy trying a few things with out any regards for the outcome.
I had some chipping fluid but fancied trying hairspray so primed it and sprayed it up in some oxide colours ,the paints used were Hataka had these in the cupboard for a couple of years never used ,mixed them sixty paint forty thinners using mr colour aqueous thinner they sprayed nicely but were a complete sod to clean out of the airbrush even with mr colour tool cleaner any one who's used this will know its strong stuff still struggled, anyway two coats of hairspray straight from the aerosol and was ready to green it up.
I used Ammo paints mixed to the same ratio once again with mr hobby aqueous thinner could I think have gone fifty fifty but had no problems went through the airbrush with no problems no drying on the tip nothing smooth and you like. Should I think have gone with another coat of hairspray as was hard work at the scrubbing (for want of a better word)stage but perhaps for the good as at least it kept it restrained the rest was finnished off with the usual filter ,wash ,streaking tequneics was a bit miffed that some bottles that haddent been used in a while had gone off mig ,ammo and wilder products ,still enjoyed it all the way some times I think we forget that's what it is all about.20200507_133256.jpg
20200508_121604.jpg
20200508_132130.jpg
20200520_171844.jpg
20200520_171946.jpg
20200520_171658.jpg
20200520_171928.jpg
20200520_171913.jpg
Sorry if a bit pic heavy but c and c welcome on to the next one Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice work David.
The hair spray method has worked for you well , most effective.
Are you going to try the fluid at some point, be interesting to read what you think about them both .

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi John many thanks you can see from the third pic down where I'd scrubbed back as I said was hard work but that did keep it within realms some you see can be a bit OTT. I have used the chipping fluid before a long time ago back on the old mm site in seventy second scale a winter white wash, recall it was very easy to use looking back I think it was probably horrendous but everybody was very kind.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The problem with all chipping I think is trying to be realistic David.
You should be pleased with that, it doesn't look over done to me. Really like the effect on the decks.
I can't remember if I'd seen the1/72 on MM

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'll try and dig it out and post some pics must be in a takeaway carton somewhere the best thing about building and storing 1/72......

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks David

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Very nice paint as always :thumb2:

They are amphibious - stick it in water, doesn't matter that there are no tracks

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A terrific looking finish. Very effective weathering. A lovely build all round David

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks David
John have found the little Toldi 11a we talked about and took some pics this is the first and only time I've used the chipping fluid comparing them i think the chipping fluid is easier to use but don't really know if this makes sense as one (hairspray) was in 35th the little toldi was 72nd, i can remember rushing it because i was afraid if it all dried to hard it wouldn't chip ,now i wouldn't worry I'd take a lot longer and put much more thought into the wear and tear. Dave20200603_061019.jpg
J20200603_060819.jpg
20200603_060708.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful finish on the PT David. Yeah, hull down in the mud/water where it's at home. PaulE