Punch and die tray

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
For many years I’ve been using a punch and die set straight on my work surface, often thinking I’d do well to get a tray for underneath it sometime — but never actually doing so :sad: The other day, I decided to make one real quick.

D8F65B1F-8829-40F1-A6A6-7D5067D1B5FD.jpeg

This is just a bit of hardboard with two sizes of wood strip glued to the smooth side. The wide strip can be pretty much any thickness, but the narrow strip needs to be thin enough that the base of the die is higher, else you can’t get any material into the die.

I first measured up the length of the die from my set, then added twice the width of the narrow strip and cut pieces of the wide strip to that length; add a couple of millimetres to ensure the die will actually fit. Next, two bits for the short sides, with a length equal to the width of the die plus twice the narrow strip, minus twice the wide strip. I used a set square to make sure I glued them at 90-degree angles, and then cut pieces of the narrow strip to fit. For these, I made the short strips the full size and the long strips to go between them. Once the glue was dry, I cut the hardboard to size around the strips.

If done well, the die should fit between them:

EBC5ED14-45AB-4035-BCF0-02E6D1051092.jpeg

And since the RP Toolz hexagonal die is the same width as the round one, it also fits:

F5349F1B-CB83-437A-9FFB-8F0112E07DFC.jpeg