Punctured Sd.Kfz.251 Ausf C

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Making space in the cave I thought I might take some upto date pics of a few builds that have been tucked away for years.

20230111_202611.jpg

Built in around 2012 this is the Cyber Hobby (Dragon) Ausf C which frustrated me so much during the build that I punctured one side and rendered it damaged.

20230111_195946.jpg

This was my first built utilising aftermarket goodies. From recollection it has the mixed media Verlinden set including full engine and interior components. I also gave it a set of Friul metal tracks.

20230111_202549.jpg

The resin engine took forever to whittle down and fit in the bay. In fact it still stands too tall!. Many other Verlinden items seemed overscale and were unusable and the photo-etch was thick and tricky to manipulate.

20230111_202907.jpg

My first experience using Friuls was a positive one and the model certainly gained a few pounds once fitted!

It was painted with a Vallejo Dunkelgelb modulation set and weathered with MlG enamels and pigments. The base is a simple wooden nameplate with mininature flowers and grasses added.

20230111_202810.jpg

I really enjoyed the build right up to the point where the hull top refused to mate with the lower half. The joint was filled in numerous places and really tried my patience! I perceivered and ended up replicating a damaged vehicle such was my frustration.

Looking at it now it has so many issues included the really obvious non SS licence plate, but it was a watershed build that helped me further develop my skills within the hobby.

20230111_195855.jpg

20230111_200134.jpg20230111_203051.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Well it looks great.The paint work is lovely and the damage is really well done.
Got to agree about the Verlinden AM stuff.Over-sized,badly fitting stuff usually.
You might want to change the thread title!
Jon.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Well it looks great.The paint work is lovely and the damage is really well done.
Got to agree about the Verlinden AM stuff.Over-sized,badly fitting stuff usually.
You might want to change the thread title!
Jon.
Cheers Jon. Title updated:flushed:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Many other Verlinden items seemed overscale and were unusable and the photo-etch was thick and tricky to manipulate.
Old Verlinden, released up to about the late ’80s, is usually pretty good stuff. After that, the decline started to set in because volume of releases and production started to become definitely more important than quality. Even before then, though, Verlinden was known to cut corners and reduce complexity in order to increase mould life (I once overheard an old-timer Belgian modeller at a model show talking to someone else about this, remarking that François used to take a Tipp-Ex pen to figure masters to show where he wanted depths reduced, folds made less sharp, etc.).

Of course, the problem with this today, is that it is getting exceedingly hard to get hold of any Verlinden sets, let alone the old ones.