Puppet

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just incredible as always... How about a challenge? Is there any way you could make the eyes independent? Just think of the expressions....

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Scottie Many thanks mate, not up to your armour skills but fun.

Tim Thanks. I thought about the left to right eye movement but it added a lot to the mechanics and for simple puppets I can just turn his head to look up or to the side. I know Peter D is a big fan of the sideways look but I will have to work on that for the next one.

Jim A bit of fun for the Covid lock down. Thanks for looking in.

John

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Blimey thats amazing work. Fantastic episode on Disney channel in the Disney story, all around the early animatronics.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I need to improve my English John :tongue-out3: I meant could you arrange him to open/close one eye at a time, so he could wink, etc....

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your talent is exceptional John.
Hard to believe that the figure wasn't from the film studio.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Gobsmacking skills john ! Amazing job , cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pester +1 here as well. That is fantastic...more than a hint of Alec Guinness about the eyes to me!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil, Tim and Steven Thanks for your indulgence, and kind comments.

I know I said I wouldn't pester you any more but I just had to work out one more prototype. Mk III. I wanted to try to build the mechanics for a 5 controls head. Using what I had learned from Mk I and Mk II. So here is my third attempt. Built on a 1 inch electrical conduit tube. I cast the white pieces in resin to provide the head tilt and side to side movement. I then wanted to have moving eyes, and eyelids and finally a moving mouth. The mouth I did not include yet on this version since I know that is the easiest part. I also ran out of steel wire so I will connect up the eye lids after a trip to the DIY store. You can see from the attached photos that all the movements work however i think this is starting to get a little too much for a puppeteer to control. If I build another one I will have to look into using some R/C servos for at least some of the movements. Building mechanical objects requires a bit more precision than I am capable of so it is far from perfect but I am still pleased with the result.

MkIII  mechanics.jpg

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Please continue to pester us with you marvellous work. As for building in the movements - looks fascinating but way beyond me.
This chap looks brilliant.
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I am still wasting my days working on puppets. I am up to my fourth now so this is very probably the last. His name is Gawain (for any students of 14th century literature). A bit more sophisticated with the costuming. The sword scabbard is hand sewn faux leather, with a hilt made from magic sculpt. All faux leather belts with scratched buckles, made from soldered together scraps of brass and copper., and topped with a faux leather jerkin. The hat is blue velvet and the hair comes from the dollar store. His haircut is a little Lawrence Olivier in Richard III.

Just at the bottom right you might notice some plastic tubing. This is my latest addition to move the controls away from the puppet itself. Eyes, eyelids, head and mouth can all be animated as well as the rods to control the hands. I must say making clothes etc is more complicated than just painting stuff however it is a real challenge to get it all to come together.

Gawain 1.jpg

Sorry to keep posting my ramblings, but I hope someone enjoys the fun.

John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Happy New Year mate, ramblings you say I wish I had your talents. He is brilliant.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
He’s great. There is a touch of the Gerry Anderson’s about the face I think....and as usual your face colours are exceptional.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Your ramblings are really interesting so ramble on. He is brilliant, looks a professionally puppet.
All the best for the new year.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent John. Your skills know no bounds. Pester away. PaulE

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant, quite simply brilliant!

Let's have more!

ATB.

Andrew