Queen Mary

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Carl. If it was me I would strip back and repaint. It will bug you every time you look at it otherwise. It also won’t match with the others. If you go this way it might be worth the thinners wipe down first? Was it a home made wash by the way? If so, sansodor thinner is less aggressive and easier to control than white spirit.

First Name
Carl
Hi Carl. If it was me I would strip back and repaint. It will bug you every time you look at it otherwise. It also won’t match with the others. If you go this way it might be worth the thinners wipe down first? Was it a home made wash by the way? If so, sansodor thinner is less aggressive and easier to control than white spirit.
The wash was just some acrylic burnt umber watered down with thinners.
I have several brands of thinners I can try.
I’m not too bothered about stripping it as it was the first attempt although had I not of had the feedback I might well
Of continued with the rest the same. I’m in no particular hurry so it’s all a learning curve. That said it’s a lot of work to get to the final wash which ruined it so I need to make sure it’s very thin next time. I might even use a lighter colour wash.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Carl
i would try some Vallejo game colour Burnt umber wash 73.203. It’s made for jobs like this and dries to a nice graduation without tide marks. Home made acrylic washes are pretty difficult to nail in my experience. It’s hard to get the right amount of flow improver. Not enough and the water surface tension make the paint bead up, and too much and it breaks down the paint, leaving a patchy finish.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It’s certainly the way to see the world but I dont doubt that it was hard work Dave.
I imagine some pretty good stories and memories though.
Carl probely the least said about those stories the better !

First Name
Carl
Hi Carl
i would try some Vallejo game colour Burnt umber wash 73.203. It’s made for jobs like this and dries to a nice graduation without tide marks. Home made acrylic washes are pretty difficult to nail in my experience. It’s hard to get the right amount of flow improver. Not enough and the water surface tension make the paint bead up, and too much and it breaks down the paint, leaving a patchy finish.
I think you are right and it was clearly
Difficult to stop the darker colour from settling in random spots creating the tide as you put it. Might order some proper wash for next attempt then.

First Name
Carl
I used some weathering carrier to try and water it down. It’s a bit lighter apart from
Around edges but what you think. The tide marks seem to have come out and of course the bumps (not sure what the proper word for them is)around the edge will be painted blackED278DAE-C1CC-4070-996E-B544EDF5FE42.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks loads better to me. Really nice variation in wood colour with defined shading to make the details pop. Nice one!

First Name
Carl
That looks loads better to me. Really nice variation in wood colour with defined shading to make the details pop. Nice one!
Cheers Tim, yeah it cleaned up better than I expected and where it’s a little dark around the edge details as said these will be black and at the edge of the hull where they will be mostly in shadow anyway.

First Name
Carl
Hi, I’m not sure what you call these bollard things on the boat deck, (the white plastic thing) presume they were to tie the ship to the docks etc. Anyway, these look rediciloisly big on my model and I’m sure looking at an actual picture below they are probably nearer half this size in reality. They ruin the look of the deck as they look more like trees. Can any confirm?
D11FCE44-C27F-4381-9C01-9A22DC233F93.jpegA307AAE9-2AE3-401E-BD30-517FC6CB4CB7.png

Last edited:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Hi Carl,

Just reading through your post, some great work so far!

Regarding your pic above the white plastic component is a mushroom vent, either an air intake or exhaust, possibly forced or natural. On a ship of that scheme this would have been white, was going to say with light rust streaking, I very much doubt this on a Cunnard vessel though!
Size wise it does look big but these are generally big (though they do vary) but as I am assuming this would be the natural vent for the S/G flat it likely would be somewhere near this size.

Hope this helps.

James

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Taking shape nicely Karl... :thumb2:

The decking is excellent.

The trouble is, model ships have nasty little corners to get at, don't they?

Looking good.

Last edited:
First Name
Carl
Taking shape nicely Karl... :thumb2:

The trouble is, model ships have nasty little corners to get at, don't they?

Looking good.
Oh yes, it’s a whole different level of difficult. Glasses are a must. That said i feel like I’ve just about perfected my wood decking now. It’s got better with each piece I do. I’d almost like to do the first two bits again but I’m not stripping them now so ill have to live with them.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Tim, it’s all new technique to me so this ones definitely a learning curve. Maybe it‘ll convince me to take on a bigger size battleship like the Hood next...thinks Christmas present from wife..lol
OH i certainly hope so Carl it would be great to see a build of hood go on i dare you lol :smiling4: :smiling4:
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Excellent decking Carl, I was going to suggest to do the WW2 troopship version of the Queen Mary if the wash on the deck couldn't be solved. I think in four years the decks would have been miserable with the many trans Atlantic convoys with little time for cleaning. I presume some parts were covered over to protect the deck.

Anyway it looks splendid now.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Carl
I have to say when I started the boat build I wasn’t convinced I would enjoy it as it seems very repetitive and time consuming and if it wasn’t for the fact this model was given to me to build for someone else then I probably would not have attempted one. That said, now I have been building this on and off for a few weeks I’m quite enjoying the pace. The more it starts to come together and actually look like the grand boat the more exciting it is.
Ive still got the hardest large main deck to paint and I think the finish of the model very much depends on that larger part of the model.
I have been trying different techniques on how to paint the decks for the best finish and I’ve still not nailed it yet. The last effort was to liquid mask the smaller decks and spray all the white in one go. That didn’t work out that well as the liquid mask was too high in places so I had to touch back in the white which kinda defeated the object. These decks are so small I’m finding that the brush is the only way to do it .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have to agree with the others, that deck looks good, the slight colour variation is perfect.