Queen Mary

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The Senior Seconds, Staff Engineer & Chief Engineer were only ever seen occasionally, and never seemed to speak to any other ranks
We were out in the Pacific doing a cable repair once, when the Chief cable engineer appeared on deck. This was a very rare occurrence. Unfortunately, a junior Cable engineer, had his white overalls unbuttoned down to the waist, catching some rays. The Chief quietly said to him 'don't bare your chest to the crew' as the Chief left the deck, he also asked 'have you shaved today' Life was very different for them.
Wooden decks. We had two ships which still had teak over the deck. It was a nightmare playing deck golf over that stuff.

First Name
Carl
WELL Carl i just use the fiber glass resin myslf
That resin really gets warm. I was worried it might spontaneously combust. Think it was starting to bow the hull slightly so I glued on the main deck quick and clamped it to make sure the shape stayed correct. Seems ok as far as I can tell although annoyingly I have managed to put a thumb print size mark on the decking which seems to have completely removed the paint from that spot. I have no idea how I managed it as I’m pretty sure there was no excess glue unless it was on my thumb when I handled the model..ahhh. Guess I’ll be attempting a repair next. Should be fun seeing as the planking was made up of about three colours. More haste and less speed I guess.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That resin really gets warm. I was worried it might spontaneously combust. Think it was starting to bow the hull slightly so I glued on the main deck quick and clamped it to make sure the shape stayed correct. Seems ok as far as I can tell although annoyingly I have managed to put a thumb print size mark on the decking which seems to have completely removed the paint from that spot. I have no idea how I managed it as I’m pretty sure there was no excess glue unless it was on my thumb when I handled the model..ahhh. Guess I’ll be attempting a repair next. Should be fun seeing as the planking was made up of about three colours. More haste and less speed I guess.
HI Carl in my opinion makin mistakes is all part of this modeling lark as you learn not to do that again an yes resin does get pretty warm but it depends on how much hardner you put in if you put in a little it wont get to hot from the chemical reaction but it will take longer to go off as thats what i do as i made a mistake a few days ago on tiger on fitting my portholes in the hull as i pressed the porthole in place unknown to me there was glue on my finger an when i pulled my finger away from it the glass was all smugded with glue an the air was blue i can tell you but thankfully the glass is held in as a very tight fit so i just forced out the glass an fitted in a new one so there you have it so with your mistake be carefull of what you are doin an the same message to me also
hope you get over it ok
chris

First Name
Carl
HI Carl in my opinion makin mistakes is all part of this modeling lark as you learn not to do that again an yes resin does get pretty warm but it depends on how much hardner you put in if you put in a little it wont get to hot from the chemical reaction but it will take longer to go off as thats what i do as i made a mistake a few days ago on tiger on fitting my portholes in the hull as i pressed the porthole in place unknown to me there was glue on my finger an when i pulled my finger away from it the glass was all smugded with glue an the air was blue i can tell you but thankfully the glass is held in as a very tight fit so i just forced out the glass an fitted in a new one so there you have it so with your mistake be carefull of what you are doin an the same message to me also
hope you get over it ok
chris
To be fair Chris I read the instructions that said add 2% hardener which seemed like a few drops so I ignored that and squirted a bit in,clearly too much . As you say, I’ll know for next time. Anyway it seems to have stuck ok and the boat looks ok shape wise I think. I will have to sort the smudge but I’m sure I’ll manage. It’s under one of the boats gantry things so is partially hidden which may help.image.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Carl that ani'nt to bad an if i was you just touch it up with some brown lightly with a brush an as you say the lifeboat derrick will be over it so it wont notice an well done on the model so far
chris

First Name
Carl
HI Carl that ani'nt to bad an if i was you just touch it up with some brown lightly with a brush an as you say the lifeboat derrick will be over it so it wont notice an well done on the model so far
chris
Thanks Chris, pretty much what I ended up doing, just brushed on some brown wash and by the time the lifeboat Derrick is on it will be mostly concealed. I think the end is in sight now, just got to spray up the lifeboats, derricks and various funnels etc.
carl

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris, pretty much what I ended up doing, just brushed on some brown wash and by the time the lifeboat Derrick is on it will be mostly concealed. I think the end is in sight now, just got to spray up the lifeboats, derricks and various funnels etc.
carl
HI Carl glad you got over that little hurdle as thats what moddeling all about tryin out your skills an from what ive seen you have plenty an now whats model next ?
chris

First Name
Carl
I have quite few in my stash now, Lancaster, B17, P61 and several others including my latest buys which were two rather odd ball ones below92465053-D74E-472A-A050-18DE8D433CD4.png72FA5573-A885-49B5-80A2-C65547F4A8E7.png

First Name
Carl
Can anyone shed some light on scaling of these model ships. The Queen Mary I am building says it is 1/568 scale so in other words if I multiplied the length of my model boat by 568 then I’d have the actual size of the real boat.?
I was thinking of adding a red telephone box as one was on the deck and a red box measures 9’ tall or 2740mm in metric.
so devide that by568 gives me 1.76mm tall to the scale of my boat? However, if this is correct it just looks too small.
I’d say it wants to be nearly double that?
I’m confused?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
My calculator gives me just under 5 mm high Carl. Does that seem better? 4.83mm to be more precise.
Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Carl,
This may help, download a free app. called Hobby color converter. As well as having a great paint reference and conversion it has a very useful scale converter. enter the real size or scale size enter the scale and it will convert it to real or scale measurements.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Carl mate, it’s simply 2740 divided by 568, as you said. You must have made a typo when entering the numbers. Basically, if the real boat was 568 feet long, the model would be one foot long.

First Name
Carl
Carl mate, it’s simply 2740 divided by 568, as you said. You must have made a typo when entering the numbers. Basically, if the real boat was 568 feet long, the model would be one foot long.
I must of as you say cos that’s what I thought I’d done. Fat finger syndrome .
Thanks for confirming anyway.
Next time I should check twice before typing up a thread..

First Name
Carl
I seem to have one of my boat davits missing. The box was open and partially squashed when I was given it and there were several loose bits on there so I suspect it was lost some time ago. I could just leave it off and leave one of the life boats out but it would be nice to have it. However I have no idea how I would go about trying to make sick a small and awkward shape. Any ideas from the scratch builders ?
Carl

Attachments

• 7A254356-4B34-4090-B69F-728DBBBD4D17.jpeg
    7A254356-4B34-4090-B69F-728DBBBD4D17.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 4

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Carl.

Taking a look at your future projects, I've rigged a couple of WW1 fighters in the past, but the amount needed on your Handley Page Bomber would have me going up the wall in nothing flat!

First Name
Carl
Looking good Carl.

Taking a look at your future projects, I've rigged a couple of WW1 fighters in the past, but the amount needed on your Handley Page Bomber would have me going up the wall in nothing flat!
Lol, yeah, it was one of those compulsive buys which I sometimes do if the price seems right. Haven’t decided which of my models to do next yet but I’m sure it’ll feel easier than the boat.
that said another larger boat is on the Christmas list for next year build and I also have a part built titanic model which I started about 20 years ago and never completed, its about twice the size of the Queen Mary model I’ve almost completed.