Question about wash

N

nyc7181

i was doing a black wash on mu 1/72 U boat. sealed it with a gloss clear and honestly from the videos iv seen you put it on let it dry and wipe it off. That doesn't seem to be the case it won't wipe off with water at all. Im worried I ruined my paint job

R

RichardMo

nyc what type of black wash did you use oil acrylic or enamel?. when I was I use very very thin layers and I only wait a few minutes then wipe off with rubbing alcohol. I use acrylics btw

Rick

N

nyc7181

Vallejo Black Wash. But I was using water. I messed up, I didn't gloss coat it before i did it so tomorrow I will just repaint the spot I did. thank god I only did a small area. I watched like ten videos on doing a wash and I was like why is it so easy for them to wipe it off. I didn't gloss it and I was trying to wipe it and it wouldn't come off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Acrylic washes dry very fast, if using them you need to work quickly and in small areas. O would imagine a lot of the videos you have seen were of enamel or oil washes which can be wiped of some time later with low odour thinners or the like.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Erik.
Sorry to read that, nothing worse than it going wrong at the last stage.

Think Ricks answer with the rubbing alcohol is right to clean it off, but the gloss varnish should have gone on first , this would have sealed the paint work then you could apply the wash, when finally happy another coat of mat varnish to seal it all in.
Think we have all been there, so don't feel bad.
Certainly doing small areas at a time is best as the wash dries so quickly.
Hope you manage to save the day .
John.

R

RichardMo

yes john I certainly lost a 1/32 dauntless to that very problem bowcat is going through.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
yes john I certainly lost a 1/32 dauntless to that very problem bowcat is going through.

Not me, the OP. :smiling3:

I did have that exact issue in the early days, switched to oils and enamels and have never looked back.