Question on a new Airbrush

N

nyc7181

I currently have an Iwata revolution. I hate it has the jar in front by my finger.
can someone recommend a new top load airbrush. I spray acrylics mostly Tamiya, Modal Air
Id like one i can do fine detail and then do wide coverage
here is my model that was pre shaded and the base coat was just not drying even. I want one i can preside with and over areas to go over the pre shade. my price range is $200-$300
2cf7es8.jpg

21b1vli.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
99% of gravity feed airbrushes have the cup in front of the trigger. There are a couple that have them out to the side. I think it is a balance thing. They just feel odd.
If you want no cup in the way, then you might want to look at siphon feeds, Badger make some pretty good ones I use them. Both work well and are easy to clean. You just have to make sure the cup is firmly attached.....Otherwise you get paint EVERYWHERE when it fall off. :sad: On the plus side you can fit a jar under them and just go for it with the larger models....)

N

nyc7181

99% of gravity feed airbrushes have the cup in front of the trigger. There are a couple that have them out to the side. I think it is a balance thing. They just feel odd.
If you want no cup in the way, then you might want to look at siphon feeds, Badger make some pretty good ones I use them. Both work well and are easy to clean. You just have to make sure the cup is firmly attached.....Otherwise you get paint EVERYWHERE when it fall off. :sad: On the plus side you can fit a jar under them and just go for it with the larger models....)
I kinda want one of the ones with the cup on top.
this is my current IWATA
o0qh78.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have always preferred side feed brushes......I find bottom feed clumsy, so are more prone to being used as a spray gun rather that as an airbrush, and top feed obscure the view of what you are painting and are harder to clean. The side feed gives the benefits of both without any drawbacks that I can see....the cup can be fitted from either side, and are much easier to strip down and clean up due to the accessibility of the two feed ports.
If you get an Iwatta SBS I think parts would be interchangeable with the one you already have.....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have always preferred side feed brushes......I find bottom feed clumsy, so are more prone to being used as a spray gun rather that as an airbrush, and top feed obscure the view of what you are painting and are harder to clean.
I’ve never used a top-feed airbrush, but agree with Erik about a jar or cup on the bottom getting in the way of your fingers (I used to use a Badger 150 that’s like that). However, with my Aztek A470, I often find the side-mounted cup getting in the way of seeing what I’m spraying, and I often have to tilt the whole thing half onto its side to get it to spray at all if the cup is getting empty.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jakko, you could always fit the cup to the other side.....Aztec’s (at least mine has) have several different cups as well....some drain completely from horizontal....
The issue I had that stopped me using mine was the amount of free air they need....very air hungry brushes...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If I put the cup on the left, it’s in my line of sight even more than when it’s on the right. I normally use one of the small white cups that should work fine horizontally; the problem, I think, is that I have a tendency to hold the airbrush tilted to the right a bit. Not a problem with the cup on the left, but see above :smiling3: The solution clearly lies in changing my habits.

You’re probably right about the air, though. I had a lot of trouble spraying paint at low pressures that apparently work fine for other people (using other brands of airbrush, I suppose).

R

Robo

I've got 2 badger airbrushes the 150 and the 155 anthem both syphon feed and both can use a 1/4 ounce cup or a jar, never had problems with line of sight.