Question on Vallejo Model Air

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I'm sure there's a thread but I can never find them, what I wanted to know is can you paint Vallejo Model Air with a brush and if so anything I need to know, have quite a few bottles and don't want to waste them, giving spraying a miss as much as possible and it's not good for my health.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Yes it is, albeit coverage will be a bit Ron.. I believe Ron aka Spanner570 brush paints with it.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Mark, I brush on Vallejo Model Air for all my model painting. I don't possess an A.B.
You will probably receive differing responses I'm sure, but they work fine for me.

Tips?
Slightly thin the paint with tap water. I don't know about ratios. Practice on a spare bit of plastic.
I don't use these fancy thinners or retarders.
The first and possibly second coat of paint will look naff. Don't be tempted to thicken the paint. It will cover just fine. And unlike an A.B. the surface will be free of the dimples usually seen with paint applications using the hissing thing. (Tin hats on, everyone. Incoming!) And further more, the brush applied paint goes on the model, not into your lungs and atmosphere, spray Booth or not.....and yes, is better for your health. See 'Tin hats' above.

Use the correct brush for the specific application. Flat for big areas, fine for detail. That sort of logical approach.

I've done running brush painting commentary on some of my builds, but I'm blowed if I can remember which ones!

Again, you will probably get different opinions and advise than mine. Best try them all and see which suits you best.

Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Having seen 570's fine painting using them you have nothing to worry about Mark.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks everyone, glad it looks like I can use the Vallejo Air paint, didn't want them to go to waste, will give the Vallejo Air a try and see how that works, agree about the airbrush being a smelly thing, will only be used on the odd occasion also have more space with that packed away in a cupboard as well.