Question regards pre-shading.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Need to upgrade my knowledge base.
I'm fairly happy with the concept of pre-shading but what I am asking about is where do you apply the pre shading. IE to exact panel lines or to stress lines or what?
Also chasing the colour of the pre shade. What determines the pre shade colour?
Thanks in advance to anyone answering.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Most people tend to apply it to panel lines and control surfaces doug but it doesn't really matter if its not neat ( mine never is!) . Theres also a technique where the whole airframe is covered in squiggles and blotches to give a varied effect once the top colour goes on. Both are very effective . As for the colour , any darker shade of the top colour or just plain dark grey / black will do and the squiggle method often uses a white over a black base . Hope this helps and im sure there’ll be plenty more replies , cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Like many things in this hobby there are various ways & methods. Some use a lighter primer then add a darker colour to panel lines etc as Tony says.

Others use what would probably be better described as pre-lightening lol, using a dark or black primer and adding a lighter shade (often white) to the centres of panels, leaving the edges etc darker.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks Tony that makes sense.
I ask as there is an area on the Sea King, the tail cone. It suffers from 'panting' where the skin of the airframe distorts slightly due to aerodynamic stresses in flight. I may be able to use the 'squiggle' method to replicate that!!
sc000c449701.jpg