Quick Release Couplings - a Tip

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm probably preaching to the converted, but I highly recommend using a quick release coupling on your airbrush hose. The male coupling screws onto your airbrush, and the female to the end of the airhose. Now you can power up your compressor, without an airbrush attached. The quick release coupling acts as a self closing valve, allowing you to swap airbrushes quickly, without having to release the air out of the system, making cleaning and colour changes much easier quick release.jpg
You can clean/clear an airbrush much more easily without the length of hose limiting your movement - I've even answered the door with a paint loaded airbrush clutched in one hand. Even if you have only one airbrush, it can save you time, wear and tear on your compressor.............
I got mine via a slow boat from China, for less than a fiver, from either Amazon or ebay. - Just make sure you get the correct thread size!
Dave

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Looks like the same set I use Dave c/w the air valve - mine were via ebay

I second Dave’s recommendation

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Totally agree with Dave, easy to start up your compressor without an AB on or clean the AB when changing paints in a session.

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I'm with Dave too. Makes set up and especially cleaning sooooo much easier!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have the air valve and a second moisture trap at the AB end - I use the compressor regulator to get somewhere near then the local air valve to tweak as required

Me too, although I leave the compressor regulator on 50psi and adjust using the MAC valve.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, just one thing to mention - if you have an Iwata airbrush you may find that the rubber o-ring in the connector on cheaper versions disappears into the base of the airbrush if you tighten the adapter and then it leaks - I'm still trying to find some flat rubber washers the right size

Mark

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I set the pressure on the compressor regulator, because it has a gauge, and I can repeat settings visually, rather than counting the turns on a valve.
Dave

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Fair enough Dave, I tend to adjust the MAC valve based on how the brush is spraying and how it sounds, rather than turns of the knob. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm a definite fan of quick release couplings but no so convinced on the accuracy of most regulator gauges, so tend to play it by eye & ear also.

The output of my compressor is set to full, then I have a 5 metre 1/2" high pressure hose acting as a cooling/condensing loop, then a second regulator/filter/trap at the side of me where I adjust the pressure. Airbrush hose runs from that.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
On the pressure front I do a bit of both. when I started out with an AB last year I started using the pressure gauge but was well aware that the reading on my Chinese compressor gauge might be inaccurate, so then tweaked the pressure until I was happy, and then made a note of what the gauge said it was. So far, touch wood, it's panned out ok.......