R/C Sailing Schooner

G

Geoff Cropper

Hi Everyone, Just a few pics. of my scratch built Grand Banks schooner, made from 2x1 pine offcuts and a bandsaw. Cheers for now, regards Geoff Cropper. PS, I'm having trouble uploading pics, but I've informed the Moderator.

Last edited:
J

Jerome Morris

I can't wait to see her, I've always wanted a schooner model to sail.

I have a hull partially finished but.........

G

Geoff Cropper

Sailing Schooner

\ said:
I can't wait to see her, I've always wanted a schooner model to sail. I have a hull partially finished but.........
Hi Jerome, Thanks for your reply. If I ever work out how to resize my images I'll put them all on the site. Regards, Geoff.

V

vnkiwi

Hi Geoff,

Very nice, just can't beat a schooner for looks, very well modelled

vnkiwi

J

Jerome Morris

Very nice Geoff, This one's radio controlled correct?

G

Geoff Cropper

R/C Sailing Schooner.

\ said:
Very nice Geoff, This one's radio controlled correct?
That's right Jerome, I have a 39 year old 2 channel Futaba on 27 megs. The sail winch is simply a Lego 9volt motor drive unit I got off ebay and the line is wrapped round an axle on one side between two 25mm dia. plastic discs I made, and held on with a lego wheel hub on each end of the axle. It's powered by 8 AA rechargeable 2100ma/hr batteries and controlled by a servo and four limit switches, two for the servo, and two for the winch line. The rudder control is the closed circuit type with two nylon lines from the servo to both sides of the tiller running through handmade brass eyes, giving about 30 degs of rudder either side of centre. Hope that helps, regards GC.PS. If I find some pics. I'll post them. Come on, finish your schooner then there'll be two of us.

Last edited:
J

Jerome Morris

Geoff, If I had the time... You see I build and restore models as work.

I started the Bowdoin hull about 16 years ago when I was having just fun.

One thing lead to another and now my time is someone elses, for the folks that can pay to have there models built or fixed.

It is still fun!, but it is a job.

A

alang2

Hi - funnily I am new and have a remote control schooner that I am restoring - deadline April as promsed to sail for partners birthday(she bought it for me/her). There is just general wear and tear - lines broken and bent rudder and missing about 5/6ins of the jib - the only thing that I dont like is that she(the boat) was set up with a servo with a large home made arm which doesnt seem to give the right control - Q -would you recommend using a drum winch servo - and ps does that just unwind and then rewind for sail control - Yes my its first sailboat!! - does it show?

G

Geoff Cropper

Hi Allan, I prefer winches for the pulling power on the sail lines (sheets). 4 or 5 sails in a breeze requires quite a good pull to pull them in together. I tried a servo with a long arm, but theres not enough power in a servo motor. My 9volt Lego winch would pull the masts down if it didn't have limit switches on the line to stop the winch when the sails are fully in and to stop it tangling up when the sails are fully out. From full in to full out theres only 12 cms of winch line movement. When the line leaves the winch drum it passes through 2 on/off limit switches with a plastic bead on the line between the switches to cut the power in each direction. The line then goes up a small plastic tube out to the deck and along the side deck through several brass eyelets to a 5mm ring which is attached to a long elastic band fixed at the bow. This pulls the line out when you winch out and keeps a tension on the line from the winch. With the line winched in, all the sail lines are tied to the 5mm ring when the sails are in, so they will all move the same distance. Just have enough tension on the elastic to pull the winch line out. If I can find the wiring diagram I'll post it here. Hope this helps. Regards Geoff C.

First Name
Tony
Geoff, excellent model. Nice photographs of her on the water. I can't beat the age of you radio gear, my oldest which is still in service is 1982. Couldn't help but notice the beaker of tea (or coffee) on the fourth picture.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator: