RAF Battle of Britain fighters...

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just a thought. Odd is it not that you cannot really build a full set of the four single engined RAF aircraft that fought in the Battle of Britain in 1/32 scale using good quality new tool kits from mainstream manufacturers.

The Hurricane, the most numerous BoB RAF fighter does not have a single decent quality new tool kit from a major manufacturer.

The Spitfire, the most iconic aircraft of WW2. Not one decent new tool Mk1 model available. Just a rather poor Mk2 from Revell with several inaccuracies.

The third most numerous BoB fighter was the Boulton Paul Defiant. No kits at all.

The least numerous fighter with BoB participation was the Gloster Gladiator. There is the excellent ICM kit...

So that’s it, the most pivotal air battle of WW2 and you can only get a decent kit in 1/32 scale of the fighter that had the least involvement of those that did.

Then there is the lack of Italian and French aircraft in 1/32 but that’s another story and not necessarily relevant to the BoB, another gap that ICM might just be the one to fill for us...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It is odd, and what about the Blenheim? obviously with two engines, but it equipped six of Fighter Command's squadron at the beginning of the Battle, three in 11 Group (Nos 25, 600 and 604). If a Mosquito can be done, then so can a Blenheim.

I did once see a build in which someone clearly in need of help or medication built a 1/32 Blenheim using Revell's Beaufighter, but that's a LOT of work.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Problem is Barry that the market for the Hurricane and BPD probably isn't that large. Spitfire i could say yes to because of it's fame. I'd love a Hurri as i prefer them over the Spitty. But i'm not going to hold my breath

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Problem is Barry that the market for the Hurricane and BPD probably isn't that large. Spitfire i could say yes to because of it's fame. I'd love a Hurri as i prefer them over the Spitty. But i'm not going to hold my breath
But the Hurricane is one of the icons of the Air war and is a lot more famous than many aircraft that do have new tool kits. Is it less famous than the Shinden, the Hs129, the P40, P47, P38? Hardly. There are plenty of 1/32 kits less famous than the true winner of the BoB.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Oh i'm not disagreeing Barry. I'm just saying that the market for a Hurricane compared to any PTO aircraft (and you've seen the LSP/LSM gang comments) ensures that the market for the superb Hurri is limited to probably mostly Euro buyers

D

Deleted member 5496

But the Hurricane is one of the icons of the Air war and is a lot more famous than many aircraft that do have new tool kits. Is it less famous than the Shinden, the Hs129, the P40, P47, P38? Hardly. There are plenty of 1/32 kits less famous than the true winner of the BoB.

Problem Barry s that the Spitfire is as good a looker as you can get. The classy girl done up to the nines in the night club. Eyes follow to take in the beauty

The Hurricane the work horse. A smart piece serving behind the bar in the night club. Essential to make all work. Eyes looking at the drink tab.

When you think during the B of B there were Spitfires 33% Hurricanes 66% . Even the Germans got excited about Spitfires.

For me only built one Spifire & one Hurricane in 1/72

Why not write to Airfix etc.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Airfix have recently brought out new tool Defiant, Hurricane, and Blenheim in 1/72 and 1/48. The Cinderella in those scales is the Gladiator.... 1/32 isn’t really their thing.