RAF Blackburn Buccaneer S2B - 1/48 Airfix

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, thanks for the comment, have looked at the area but this must be a reflection, I agree that it does look as if some filler is missing.

Some shots of the green camo which I applied free hand, reasonably happy with it, the only other free hand I have done are my 1/32 Trumpeter MIG 29M and SU27 Flanker B. Have now to do the undercarriages and wheel bays, engine intakes and exhausts etc before coating for decalling. I used Tamiya - 'XF-81 Dark Green' thinned with about 40% Tamiya thinner. Cheers Derek

View attachment 29732View attachment 29733View attachment 29734

p.s. Looking at the last photo, the mark that Ian pointed out is still their, so have taken a close-up of the Port Tank Root to show there is no indentation, as mentioned earlier must be a reflection from the flash

View attachment 29735

View attachment 34959

View attachment 34960

View attachment 34961

View attachment 34962

B31.jpg

B32.jpg

B33.jpg

B34.jpg

Last edited:
B

backonthecase

Beautiful Derek! I recently drove past the preserved 12 sqn Buccaneer at a petrol station in Elgin! Fond memories!

I wish I had the nuts to try this camo on my 1:48 Buccaneer but instead I just doused it in Desert Sand!!! lol

Good work!

Stuart

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Derek.

Having had a good look at the photo I commented on and comparing it with others, I concur that it is in fact a highlight/shadow on the edge of the panel on the pylon. I hope that I didn't give you a heart attack!

You certainly got the better of the camouflage! Well done.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Stuart, thanks for your comments, I will be finishing the Buccaneer in No: - 12 Sqd decals, thanks for reminding me about the petrol Station forgot all about that, might just pop up for a look see.

Hi Ian, I think we have all posted a photo to realise as soon as it is on the forum that a bit is missing/not painted etc, thanks anyway. I am going to invest in a water trap for fiting to the Airbrush inlet, I have one on the Compressor but as I was working almost continuously for over an hour applying the green, intermittent water was coming through the hose towards the end.

Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hi Ian, I think we have all posted a photo to realise as soon as it is on the forum that a bit is missing/not painted etc, thanks anyway. ....

Cheers Derek
Well I sure have! I tend to catch them in the sorting stage, but when things are on a roll, It's only to easy to put either the wrong photo or one with all the errors on. Still no harm done

You sure are lucky to have a Bucc "just up the road". If I had to pop out to get a look at a military aircraft, I would have at least a drive of between three of six hours! Each way!!!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Since my last posting have coated the model with my favourite pre-decal solution - Micro Gloss and applied all the decals. For an old kit I found the decals on the whole pretty good, there was a reluctance for the decals to slide off the backing sheet, but a much longer than normal soak sorted this. Using Micro Set and Sol they bedded in very nicely. After that I applied Promodeller weathering wash, see below.

View attachment 29838 View attachment 29839

And here is the final result.

View attachment 29840View attachment 29841

Airfix say the Buccaneer should have a satin finish, but must of the RAF ones I have seen photos of suggest a matt finish, so I am going for matt.

So, still to give the model it's final coat, then add the windscreen wiper, navigation lights and Sea Eagles, so I will make this my last posting, and post the finished model's photos in the 'Aircraft Picture' section of the Forum in a day or twos time. Cheers Derek

View attachment 35062

View attachment 35063

View attachment 35064

View attachment 35065

B35.jpg

B36.jpg

B37.jpg

B38.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good. I will await the finished photos.

I started throwing paint at mine yesterday, so an update soon.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, I am always amazed at the speed you make your models, must have an assembly line stashed away in your workshop. Look forward to seeing your Tornado. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Am I that quick? I really don't have a life and am not a fan of the TV monster so loads of modeling time....

If you what to see my Tornado build, I have been posting in my thread for the last many weeks! its in the same thread as the Lightning.

Well I see that you are nearing the end of this one, What have you lined up for the other half of the duo?

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, I have an RAF Harrier waiting to come out of the box, but that might be a 2012 project as I have a few others ahead of it in the queue, but first I am going to start my Trawler once I do a bit more research and have a wee break. Cheers Derek