RAF Rescue Seaking HAR Mk3 - 1:48 Hasegawa

C

Caledonia

This will be my contribution, based upon the TV series 'Highland Emergency' which features the HM Coast Guard based in Stornoway; Royal Navy based at Prestwick, and the RAF based at Lossiemouth. An OOB build with the sole exception of my usual Eduard Zoom Set for the cockpit.

View attachment 60578

Here are the sprue shots.

View attachment 60579View attachment 60580View attachment 60581View attachment 60582View attachment 60583View attachment 60584View attachment 60585View attachment 60586

Will be basing the model on the Lossiemouth Helicopter XZ588.

View attachment 60587

Cheers Derek

View attachment 62192

View attachment 62193

View attachment 62194

View attachment 62195

View attachment 62196

View attachment 62197

View attachment 62198

View attachment 62199

View attachment 62200

View attachment 62201

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

K4.jpg

K5.jpg

K6.jpg

K7.jpg

K8.jpg

K9.jpg

1_IMG_7511 Lossiemouth.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one. I fancy one of those as well, but they're hard to find in these parts, and fleace me-bay prices are silly.

I will look forward to this one.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Been fancying this one for a while but not at full price. Found it on Amazon a while ago at 1/3 off; funny thing was the seller was Modelzone. Cheers Derek

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I got this kit last week but I want to do ZE370 as it was when I was on D flt at Lossiemouth just before the MSS kit was fitted. I also need an add on for the intake filter instead of the FOD deflector that you get with the kit. Curious that the kit comes with torpedoes!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A yellow Seaking - great. Soon to be gone from our skies.

First Name
Michael
Hi Derek, I'll be watching this closely as I want to do the exact same one as you, my brother in law was air-lifted to safety by this aircraft and I've promised him a model. M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I got this kit last week but I want to do ZE370 as it was when I was on D flt at Lossiemouth just before the MSS kit was fitted. I also need an add on for the intake filter instead of the FOD deflector that you get with the kit. Curious that the kit comes with torpedoes!
Are you going to join the GB, Rich?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Is there a time limit? I don't think I have the time to do a kit quickly, I get sidetracked too easily. I could do the Seaking but I have three other helicopter kits in the stash. If I did ZE370 I'd have to do it as it was when I was on D flt - when you know an aircraft well your sense of perfection becomes quite strong.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Lads for your support; Rick I have no personal knowledge of this Helicopter other than from the program and the Web, so don't be afraid to chip in with any advice etc. What does the 'intake filter' look like by the way? Cheers Derek

p.s. Lifecolor do a Yellow RLM04 (FS33538) their code UA 140 which I think is as close as you will get to the real thing. https://airbrushes.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ua140&osCsid=37515f83a93b303c827bad2e748c386e&x=5&y=9

p.p.s I know about the one yellow rotor blade on the top surface.

Last edited:
C

CDW

I like the idea of a yellow seaking in the mix ..... handy to have Rick along for the specifics too ....

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Rick, have a look at the FlightPath conversion kit on this website, scroll down the page. It includes the air filter. Have just ordered one for myself, will post details once received. Cheers Derek

David J. Parkins 1/48th Post War RAF/RN

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had alook at this kit and asked F/p speccifically about this part and he replied in the negative. My wallet awaits your feedback Caledonia! I left the RAF in 200d so my memories may be a bit fuzzy. What I would say is that if doing a D flt cab the blades should be modelled spread and not folded. RAF Seakings on D flt only had the blades folded for a 7 day functional check but many people just sharp-penned that maintenance task as you'd end up chasing a hyd leak on the rotor head. The engine intakes were fitted with a filter box assembly to protect them from FOD, sand and snow. It's the big yellow box with black filter panels above the cockpit. I'm on my holibops in Hopeman just a few miles from Lossiemouth so I may not be able to comment much until I get home.

C

Caledonia

Hi Rick,

If you go to the section for 'Royal Navy Westland Sea King HC.4 Conversion Set', and look at the 5 small photos below the larger one you will see in the middle photo what FlightPath call a 'sand filter', being photo etch you have to fold it to make the box (Top left hand corner Part 1).

Its a pain that they don't include it in their RAF Westland Sea King HAR.3 Conversion Set.

I take your point regarding folded blades, but I think I will have to go this root since I am running out of display space, I would prefer to spread them as I think she looks better that way.

Will post some photos when I receive the FlightPath kit.

Cheers Derek

p.s. I know Hannants do their own Sand Box Filter (airwaves 48089 sea king sand filter box), and after much Googling have found the following, may be of interest to you; this is the only one I could find.

View attachment 60651

View attachment 62260

TC224837.jpg

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's it! It looks quite simple to build.

Each to their own with the bladefold configuration Derek. I only ever did a bladefold about a dozen times in three years on D flt and most of them were as functional checks after a MRGB change as it's a mandatory task. If the leckie's cock up the bladefold control you can end up with the blades folding 180 degrees out! And they did too. If you were interested, we had a FI grey cab on the flight for a while. It's the one I'm sitting on in my avatar during a MRGB change in Benbecula. Note, no hangar. It was all done outdoors. . Bizarrely, we once had to rob the upper personnel door from a yellow cab temporarily so the grey one had a two tone personnel door.

C

Caledonia

Been looking into the sand box conversion, and although two companies did one years ago, neither are now available as far as I know.

Have decided to go for the Flightpath HC.4 conversion set since this is the only one which has the sand box, and one of the photo etch sheets is common to the Mk.3 (David J. Parkins 1/48th Post War RAF/RN).

View attachment 61140

Incidentally Hasegawa are releasing an RN version of this kit shortly which contains the sand box (http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/hp/newitem/1304/07339.jpg).

Have copied below the instructions which come with the Flightpath which shows better what's included in the kit.

View attachment 61141View attachment 61142View attachment 61143View attachment 61144View attachment 61145View attachment 61146View attachment 61147View attachment 61148

Here is a close-up of the sand box instructions.

View attachment 61149

Since I have invested in this upgrade, I have decided to go the whole hog and cut out the crew door and cargo door to show the internal detail. Will be scratch building the benches/ stretcher etc. for the internals.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 62723

View attachment 62724

View attachment 62725

View attachment 62726

View attachment 62727

View attachment 62728

View attachment 62729

View attachment 62730

View attachment 62731

View attachment 62732

M0.jpg

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

M4.jpg

M5.jpg

M6.jpg

M7.jpg

mate.jpg

M9.jpg

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If you were modelling one of these as they are when at readiness the cargo door would be closed and the crew door open but you have modellers license. Chocks in on the starboard side, bonding lead attached, fire extinguisher by the port sponson, GPU plugged in and the socket of the RT protruding from the RT panel. The curly RT lead was always stowed to save time on scrambles. Blades in the spread position and no blanks or engine covers fitted. The blade tip socks were fitted if the wind was up and tail rotor gust locks less often fitted. If the weather was too windy or raining the cabs were brought into the hangar.

We had two cabs on the flight but sometimes more if they were both U/S so it was not unusual to have 203 sqn markings on cabs at Lossiemouth. I never saw a 3A at Lossiemouth. For a short while they had the SACRU underslung load equipment removed - it was rarely used. Later, just before I left the RAF, all the cabs were fitted with MSS pods under the port sponson stub wing.

These cabs were at 15 minutes readiness from about 0600 - 2200 daily and 45 minutes during the night. The cabs had to be airborne within these time frames from receiving the scramble from the ARCC and might also require extra fuel to be added if it was a long range job.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Thanks for the input Rick, a bit too technical for me, I will be using a LOT of modellers licence, so be gentle with me. I have collected a few internal shots of the Sea King off the internet, but if you have any you can post it would be much appreciated. Hope to start the model next week. Cheers Derek

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The only photo of a Seaking that I have is the one in my profile pic and not much use for a yellow cab. You can see the liferaft pack to the left of the cargo door but don't use any of the other interior detail as a reference as the cabin was full of tools and removed panels to get the gearbox out.

SACRU is the name of the black harness and hook on the belly of the fuselage. MSS is the black pod under the port undercarriage structure. This was fitted around about late 2004 early 2005. the internet is awash with good quality photos of these aircraft but feel free to ask away if you need help.