RAF Rescue Seaking HAR Mk3 - 1:48 Hasegawa

C

Caledonia

Thanks Rick: for those in the Forum who advised that they will be building this Helicopter, I came across a good reference for both RN and RAF Sea King photos, here it is. Westland Sea King - Rotary Wing Aircraft Walkarounds - Britmodeller.com

The above solved one of my problems relating to the Sand Filter. Here is a close-up of the FlightPath Sand Filter provided.

View attachment 61400

The edges did not seem to match the long range photos I have seen so far until I found these photos.

View attachment 61401View attachment 61402View attachment 61403

It looks as if the filter packs are covered with a fine mesh screen which, from a distance gives the appearance of straight black edges. It might be possible to simulate this by misting on some Tamiya 'Smoke' onto thin clear Perspex, will experiment nearer the time. Cheers Derek

View attachment 62920

View attachment 62921

View attachment 62922

View attachment 62923

K10.jpg

K11.jpg

K12.jpg

K13.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Derek, these filters have dozens of circular inlets on the black panels. From memory the idea is that air is drawn through and passes through a type of vortex generator that expels any particle to the edge and out of the air before it enters the compressor. The particles are ejected through impeller fans located on the lower sides next to the mounting feet. The two panels on the top are hinged for access to the compressors to do inspections. There is a secondary cone shaped screen over these (we used to call them Madonna's tits) with a spray diffuser incorporated for doing a compressor wash, the connectors for these are next to the LH impeller on the EAPS/SNIPS. Salt builds up on the blades and degrades the preformance of the engines I would paint these panels solid black as they are not mesh at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Thanks Rick, I see what you mean about there being no mesh. I went back to the website above, took a copy of the photo, enlarged and enhanced it, so that I had a clearer idea for my own benefit. Think I will pin wash the embossed bits on the photo etch with black then mask and apply the smoke so that the demarcation between the vortex nozzles and surrounding frame can be seen as the picture. Thanks for the info. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Had a rather frustrating week; started to scratch build the stretcher using 0.88mm dia. Evergreen but it proved too floppy. Found some 20G plastic coated wire from the bosses floral arranging stuff so have destroyed my finger tips cutting/filing and super gluing the stretcher together, here is the results, still to clean it up before priming, but should be reasonably presentable when its inside the Helicopter hanging off the wall.

View attachment 61635View attachment 61636View attachment 61637

Assembled the cockpit as supplied with the kit. The kit comes with embossed dials/switches and instrument decals but I filed off the detail as I have the Eduard Zoom set. Notice the white plasticard on the right hand side of the pedestal between the pilots, had to narrow the console as per the Eduard instructions.

View attachment 61638View attachment 61639

Will now fit the 'Flightpath' internal photo etch and scratch build the passenger seats.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 63128

View attachment 63129

View attachment 63130

View attachment 63131

View attachment 63132

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

T

TonyBv9

Nice bit of scratch-building there. That orange must be among the worst ever colours for a kit, surely?

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments lads; yes I agree I hate coloured plastic, wish they would all stick to grey.

Here are a couple of shots showing all the photo etch provided for the cabin internals with the Flightpath conversion set. They also provide a nice photo etch for the crew door internal surfaces which I will fit later.

View attachment 61815View attachment 61816

Have also opened up the Crew and Cargo doors before I start the scratch built cabin interior details.

View attachment 61817View attachment 61818

Cheers Derek

View attachment 63299

View attachment 63300

View attachment 63301

View attachment 63302

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

B8.jpg

B9.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Derek great job scratching the basket! Loving that PE in there as well!

C

Caledonia

Hi Rick, wonder if you can help with a query. I am scratch building the interior of the cabin, but despite doing a long google search and a look at the available programs on Demand 5 'Highland Emergency' I cannot find any photos of the cabin interion betwen the Crew Entry Door and the Radar/Radio Operators position. A flight simulator game suggests that it is a shelf unit.

Woould be obliged if you or anyone else can through some light on this. Many thanks. Cheers Derek

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't have any interior photo's Derek but the link below leads to a forum detailing someone elses attempt at a HAR3. The rack between the personell door and radshack has a load of avionics boxes (LRU's) fitted to it. On top there is a rapid water boiler and another LRU. When crewed in the crew's NVG google boxes are stowed on top. The NVG boxes are foam covered in waterproof fabric and are about the size of WW2 cardboard gas mask boxes. I think that some of the blanks or blades socks are stowed here but I can't be sure.

Westland Sea King HAR3 R.A.F. Rescue - Military Aircraft Models - Invision Power Board

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your fast reply Rick. I have the photo etch next to the door so there won't be much to see anyway, so I will just add some selving. Thanks again. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Last edited:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
thats looking very tasty last seaking i did was the airfix one it pants compared to yours.

Cheers peter

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Derek,

Great work. But may I be pedantic? The top shelf on the LH rack is a touch too high for me. And the RH rack doesn't have a bulkhead to the cabin roof, it is about 4-5 feet high. I found a useful site withe reference photo's for you. Lots of Seakings with a HAR3 buried in there somewhere.

Westland Sea King - Rotary Wing Aircraft Walkarounds - Britmodeller.com

In fact, there even some shots of a 203 sqn cab (XZ593 I think) on the SAR dispersal at RAF Lossiemouth. In these shots you can see the typical readiness state of the cab's when parked as I described in an earleir post.

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great attention to detail - makes me want to try a bit harder.....

C

Caledonia

Thanks Gents for your encouragement.

Rick, I will incorporate your observations in my next posting, thanks for the advise. I was aware of the website you mentioned, I reported this in posting #21 above; very good for those who may want to do the Royal Navy model as well. Pity there are no interior shots.

Cheers Derek