Rand's Meng TOON Somua S35

R

Ranwulf

This will be my first foray into a GB. I attempted one last year but my painting needs some serious work! I guess my 4x4 Civilian will be a return to stalled build thread (someday)
The kit seems sparse compared to some I have seen posted with malleable plastic which is good as the German version cupola hinges are very tiny!331972331974is good because a few parts are quite small.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Randell nice choice goes together really well.

I've put a few tips below about dry fitting etc on these types kit, may or may not help I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to build your models It's just what I've learnt building them.

Dry fitting is a problem as once the two parts are together they are some times very hard to separate. I soon learnt that early on with the toon tanks, far be it for me to tell any of you how to build but a quick sand around the connecting pins and you can get them apart again without damage, the other tip is to cut 3/5mm of the smaller connecting pin the male one, that is best one I have found.

I would also recommend that you thoroughly wash the tank tracks, on the last two toons thay were very oily and even the sprues had a slight oily feel.

I haven't come across a glue that won't glue these together yet and I glue everything on.

Pete.

R

Ranwulf

Hi Randell nice choice goes together really well.

I've put a few tips below about dry fitting etc on these types kit, may or may not help I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to build your models It's just what I've learnt building them.

Dry fitting is a problem as once the two parts are together they are some times very hard to separate. I soon learnt that early on with the toon tanks, far be it for me to tell any of you how to build but a quick sand around the connecting pins and you can get them apart again without damage, the other tip is to cut 3/5mm of the smaller connecting pin the male one, that is best one I have found.

I would also recommend that you thoroughly wash the tank tracks, on the last two toons thay were very oily and even the sprues had a slight oily feel.

I haven't come across a glue that won't glue these together yet and I glue everything on.

Pete.
Thanks for the heads-up
I think I've read everything you have posted during your builds as I need all the help I can get (MIA 40yrs) The S35 hull is double trouble. 4 pins on the hull interior plus all the bolt positions are press fit, almost messed up.

R

Ranwulf

Trimming and fitting only 1 bad area on the cupola. I'll try and feather it in before resorting to putty.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0003 (1).JPG
    IMG_0003 (1).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name