Rare footage of the complexities of launching the V2 Rocket

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Watch this all the way through it is absolutely fascinating and shows how advanced the Germans were with the development of long range rockets in the later stages of WW2,it was a highly complex procedure and a dangerous one too with the use of hydrogen Peroxide and the lethal C -Stoff.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just watched it! If Allen sees this he'll go nuts! Best complete footage I have ever seen on this topic. I wish I could have seen it before I started my build of the LOX trailer In 1/87 scale. Thanks for posting Barry. Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Guys,

Thanks for posting this Barry. I never thought to do it, plus I don't know how. The footage isn't as rare as one would believe as this was the documentation of the British launches in October 1945. It was quite an undertaking to assemble the equipment to launch them. The three launches were in the afternoons 2, 4 and 15 October, 1945. Launches on the 2nd and 15th were successful, but the launch on the 4th suffered engine failure after take-off. There are a couple of points to emphasize with these launches. Due to the difficulty obtaining fueling equipment, the C-Stoff tank trailer you see in the video was never used by tactical V2 units. It was used by the Luftwaffe. The camo scheme shown is a test scheme to better track the missile after launch. Tactical V2s were painted dark green when they came out of the Mittelwerk factory in Nordhausen, Germany. The warheads were emptied of the Amatol explosive and filled with 768 kilos of sand for the tests too.

John and Rick, You know I love the subject and my project that is underway. Sorry Rick, but I am already nuts, so this just makes it better and a big thanks to John for calling me young...…...….

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Fascinating film, thanks for posting.
Pete