Rashida

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Next bust, 1:12 scale from BigChild Creatives.

This is my first commission - of a sort! A friend saw Grór, and asked if I'd paint a bust for her, if she bought it. I don't think she realised how costly these figures are, so said I'd only paint her one if she let me pay for it! (I think my business model is broken...)

She's black, and asked for a strong, positive figure of a black woman. Perhaps inevitably, while there are plenty of heroic Caucasian female busts, most black figures are temptresses, witches, and general baddies. And most are in a state of advanced undress, which I didn't want to paint. This figure was her favourite and, luckily for me, it's a really beautiful sculpt.

20220614_111532.jpg20220614_115614.jpg20220614_111617.jpg
20220614_112115.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks like more OSL in your future Paul. I actually don’t think the box art does that excellent casting any favours.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That really is a lovely cast. This should be a good test for your skills Paul

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Really nice but I must agree with Tim the box art is not good. You'll do better :thumb2:
Jim

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Agreed absolutely about the box art Tim and Jim.

Tim, this is for a friend, so there's no point in using techniques best served by the camera rather than for real. So no OSL. And the glowing eyes seem completely unnecessary and, as you say, undersell the sculptor's work. The sculpt itself is awesome. Looking at other work by BigChild, they do seem to achieve very high standards, both in the poses and the finish achieved. The detail is incredible, the pose superb and there's very little to fill. Although you'll be pleased to know I'm making every effort to eliminate ALL the mould lines! ;)

I'll be attempting a more naturalistic finish - the sphere will either be stone or metal, the face as natural as I can make it. Not so much gold, either - the backing disc again will probably be painted stone. The sphere is cast to hover magically between her hands, and I'm considering setting it so that it rests on her right hand - again, less magical, more real. But we'll see.

It'll certainly test my skills, Mick. All that smooth, young black skin is going to take a lot of control to achieve a flawless finish!

Jim, if I come close the the box art I'll be well-chuffed - while the colour choices are a bit off, the technique is superb. So far I've done crusty, craggy old blokes - this is going to be a lot trickier!

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here she is just blu-tacked together. I love the way she's tilting her head just fractionally to her left - very deft work, I think. I've glued her head on because the choker which masks the join was damaged, so I'm having to fill that, in stages.

20220614_145423.jpg
20220614_145455-jpg.455483

Attachments

• 20220614_145455.jpg
    20220614_145455.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 60

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The eyelashes maybe look rather long and solid, almost like the peak of a cap. I hope they don't prove to be a problem. Put together she looks superb. The stone disc, the folds of the fabric and that smooth skin.
Jim

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I know what you mean, Jim, but I don't think they will. They'll be black against her very dark skin and, so long as I paint her eyes lined with kohl, they should just help make the eyes themselves really pop.

This is a great excuse to research pictures of truly amazing black women!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t know if you’ve seen this Paul, but it might come in handy…..

Personally my favourite of your images is the last one. That ebony skin tone will really stand out against the shield background…..

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yep, at the moment I think really very black, almost blue black, would work well. But I also know that, once I get painting, if the skin tone starts to look good at a lighter tone, then that's what I'll go for.

I've been liaising with my (black) 'client', and she says: "it will be a beautiful black, whatever you go for" - she's giving me carte blanche, if that's not COMPLETELY the wrong expression to use!

And thanks for the link, Tim, I'll have a gander.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No probs Paul. Sounds like you are perhaps after a South Sudanese type skin tone.
PS, I think the phrase you are after is “blank canvas” ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Paul, I concur with Tim on the South Sudanese type skin tone as her features are similar as well.
I lost you for a while which delayed my response. That is a very nicely sculpted figure and the casting is good. The silk shoal will be a thing to paint using fantasy style wet blending with hints of metallic paints.
Looking forward to the painting.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh My! the young lady in the blue dress is stunning!

What a well sculpted and cast figure.
I am sure that the result will be equally good regardless of which tone you go after.

Not Sure about the lashes though. I can see your point when they are painted. But I am sure they could be better, Have you seen some of the Japanese dudes on YouTube. He makes the eye lashes from ...... false ones. He just cuts the very tips off and sticks them in place one at a time! Insane.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks gents.

Re. those eyelashes - time will tell. But rest assured, there'll be no false eyelashes damaged in the completion of this bust - I'm not THAT much of a masochist!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Paul, there's a reason the lashes were molded as is to be painted. So I don't think you need to remove them.
I find false eyelashes very comical... I think it's a trend as some American black athletes spot humungous caterpillars or ostrich feathers on their eyelids. They could have shaved off seconds from their timespeeds had they done without them.:smiling5::tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Hong
Hi Paul. I think this is going to be a great project. I can't wait to see the bust being painted. To me, doing skin tone convincingly is a huge challenge.