Rashida

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul, there's a reason the lashes were molded as is to be painted. So I don't think you need to remove them.
I find false eyelashes very comical... I think it's a trend as some American black athletes spot humungous caterpillars or ostrich feathers on their eyelids. They could have shaved off seconds from their timespeeds had they done without them.:smiling5::tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard
Agreed, Richard, I'll be painting them, not plucking them.

But huge lashes are not a black thing - they're everywhere.

Screenshot_20220617-124754_Samsung Internet.jpg

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Amazing how these things get normalised, though. Work with the great British public on holiday and you see it all - tattooed eyebrows; wildly artificial, thickly applied foundation; weird, pearlescent blusher in a band from ear to ear; and don't get me started on botox and lip fillers.

And that's just the men...

Then again, look at that traditional African face decoration, scarification, Maori tattoos, various traditional skin implants, Good Queen Bess and her make-up of lead white and mercury - we've been there before with all of this.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Seen any camels and alpacas lately?...I'll get my coat.

Cheers,
Richard
Geroutofit…….they have great expressions ;) Actually we have three Llamas (what alpacas want to be when they grow up) living about half a mile away, so yes…..they are quite common in the UK these days, used to guard the sheep flocks from loose dogs apparently.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks chaps. I've just put a very thin coat of Vallejo German camo black brown over her skin and I'm almost tempted to leave it at that! The silk finish catches the light perfectly - but I guess I'll have to paint those skin highlights in :angry::smiling5:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed!!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks chaps. I've just put a very thin coat of Vallejo German camo black brown over her skin and I'm almost tempted to leave it at that! The silk finish catches the light perfectly - but I guess I'll have to paint those skin highlights in :angry::smiling5:
Yes you will, unfortunately, Paul. Apart from anything else, skin isn’t monotone (at least, in the larger scales) so you need to work in the warmer and cooler areas. No five o’clock shadow to worry about though ;)

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ah, I'm thinking of giving her an ultra-short crop, so that five o'clock shadow might be needed!
Screenshot_20220614-164419_Samsung Internet.jpg
And the range of highlights is enormous - with shiny skin almost to white. This is going to take some serious glazing.
Screenshot_20220614-164513_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great tones on that second image. Almost purple on the back of the neck and the middle of the forehead. I think the highlights are light caucasian rather than white though…..and I can see some glazing medium in your future LOL…..personally I find it easier to glaze with darker colours. They have less titanium white in them and are less likely to chalk up. You are going to have so much fun with this :thumb2:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
So here she is looking rough, but with the skin colour starting to come good. All paints are Vallejo.

20220621_093303.jpg
20220621_093317-jpg.455922

20220621_093328.jpg

Over black primer, I started with German camo black brown, which has a purple-blue cast to it, which seems to work well (that recommendation comes from the link Tim gave upthread). Then a sequence of blends from that black brown to chocolate brown, brown sand, pale flesh. Then glazed back down again with chocolate brown and then black brown. I now need to even out some of the sketchiest parts and then work up the highlights. The highlights you CAN see are generally just light reflected off the sheen.

Attachments

• 20220621_093328.jpg
    20220621_093328.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220621_093317.jpg
    20220621_093317.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 37