Rashida

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm realising I can get smoother and smoother blends with perseverance, but I'm not sure how much longer I want to go on with the glazing, or what level of smoothness I want to achieve. I also need to decide what level of highlights I want - these take endless adjustments!

I've decided to start on her dress, and return to the skintones later, if needed.

The process of deciding when done is actually 'done' is intriguing - it must have bamboozled artists down the centuries, I guess.

I think her shocking pink lipstick needs running right down...

20220621_171553.jpg20220621_171628.jpg20220621_171641.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Getting Better and better Paul. See what you mean about the lips. Might be the pictures, but the roughing on the cheeks is a little overpowering as well. It’s hard to tell because JPEG pictures get colour enhanced which can blow the reds out of all proportion.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've done some more skin smoothing - not there yet, but closer. I've taken her lipstick down a few shades, done the jewel on her sternum and slapped on a first coat of Vallejo dark blue on her dress.

I agonised over dress colour - tempted to go blue and orange, but I think I'll try two tones of blue. (The rendition of that blue in the photo is pretty poor, it's a lot less vibrant. Best representation of the true colour is the first image.)

Tons of shading needed on the fabric, of course.

20220626_161646.jpg20220626_161752.jpg20220626_161514.jpg20220626_161535.jpg20220626_162001.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s really gelling now. The skin tones are superb, just spot on. Love the blue as well. It needs to be rich enough and cool enough to set off the warmth in the skin and it’s doing that really well. Truly excellent work. Your best so far by a country mile!

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Getting closer to finishing this. She's now actually glued together. As well as completing her robe, I've airbrushed the sphere - very quick to do, the tricky bit was choosing colours - it needs to be striking, without taking attention away from her face. I think it works. I've also given her a touch of lip gloss. A stand is on order and I need to paint up the disc behind her head. And I've just noticed her right hand is a bit crude - that needs fixing. I think I'm getting into the futzing stage... 20220629_230731.jpg
20220629_220604.jpg20220629_224756.jpg20220629_224821.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just superb. Love the way the lip colour is accented in the sphere, and the way the sphere contrasts with the robe. This is fast becoming one of the best figures I’ve seen on here for a very long time.
I’m truly in two minds as to the shield behind her though. Will it add to, or detract from, the final appearance? To my eye, the simplicity of the photos without the shield do have a certain gravitas that the first shot lacks, especially the third photograph front three quarter view.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul,

That's coming on very nicely indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the very kind comments, one and all.

Tim, that's a VERY kind compliment indeed - and I'm far from convinced it's in any way deserved!

But I really do appreciate your thoughtful comments about the shield. I agree she looks best in that three-quarter view - I think it may be because her eye sockets (and the bridge of her nose) look darker in the other shots. I have wondered whether I should lighten these areas a touch? But then, in the three-quarter shot the colouration is fine, and in the flesh she looks good from all angles too. Again, I must emphasise - to myself as much as anyone else! - that I'm painting this to be viewed for real, not on camera.

Re. the shield - I'm definitely not going to use much metallic paint on it, and try to keep my palette relatively pale to contrast with her dark face. Still undecided on actual colours though. Omit it? I don't think so, although I can decided once it's painted up.

Thanks again for your interest, folks.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excellent Paul. The colours are brilliant. She reminds me of the Somali women I knew in my youth.
John.