Rating Model Companies

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
This is an interesting thread, so I'm "chipping in" (pun intended) with my thoughts. There appears to have been a lot of digression and discussion from the OP which, while fine in it's own right, doesn't perhaps expand on the original post. While fairly well any review is subjective, I think (and someone already mentioned?) you need have certain criteria, and they must remain consistent. Then you need a scale (oh look, another pun! Shoot it before it runs...) to measure them by. So trying to get back on topic here are a few I think would work. They're by no means all, or even the best. Just what occurs. I'd say the easiest scale is a simple 1 to 10. 1 being a pig's ear, and a 10 absolute perfection.

Value for money - what you get, for what you pay
Accuracy - is the kit faithful to the subject. Are the decals. Is the paint guide accurate etc?
Build quality - by this I mean the parts fitting, and general model ""friendliness"
Adaptability - one for the converters and detailing. Can the base model be modified? e.g. a Panzer kit used for different "marks" and so on. Could also include optional parts provided and so on.
Reference - are the references provided accurate and useful? Are there pictures of the interior (if applicable). Web links for references etc. (Do kit manufacturer's do this? If they don't, why not?)
Overall - adding the above we'll get a scale from 5 - 50.

It may not be ideal, but it's a start. Thoughts?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This now puts me into a quandry, will I be looked at as just a competition modeller, or will I be looked at as just another modeller, should I just say goodbye now and retire to my lofty castle and look down on the mere mortals down there in model land.
I have entered competitions because I enjoy the fun of comic rivalry, meeting new modellers and old friends and even some from this forum.
Models - ALL of my models start out as a kit - be that kit a dog or a thoroughbred, I then put my skills learned and still learning into my build, and many on here have seen the results and the total disasters, have read my rants about certain manufacturers and their expensive trash bin fillers and taken what information I have added to my blogs as usefull information.
A model is what you the modelmaker make of it - whether it cost a small fortune or you scratchbuilt every part from a mere sheet of plasticard - it is your model and yours alone. Just because you choose to enter a competition does not make you any different as a modelmaker, you are still a modelmaker, so stop the whining and get back to doing what you enjoy, and if whining is your passion then at least you are happy.
Mike,
I agree entirely and your thoughts reflect my own.

D

Deleted member 7917

I won't quote dalej2014's post above but while I agree with the sentiment expressed, I honestly don't think it's possible to have a satisfactory and useful rating system for the simple reason that there are just so many subjective aspects of a model kit that cannot be rated. One example (and there are many others) - the latest molds being produced for 1/72 scale aircraft are quite amazing for fine detail and would rate highly on any subjective scoring. However, this doesn't take into account the model builder's ability to cope with minute pieces requiring a very steady hand and impeccable eyesight. I've reached the stage where I'm really struggling to cope with finely detailed 1/72 scale kits, but this should never be held as a negative against the kit.

I've also been a fountain pen user and collector for many years and that hobby has very similar issues around rating pens with the same challenges arising in regards to the numerous subjective aspects of an item. I find that a good review (preferably with video or images) works best in that I can discern the features of the product that effect me personally.