Rating Model Companies

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Gentlemen, I'm wondering if this thread has reached the end of the road. Hackles seem to be rising and it does seem the personal opinions of the many involved are naturally, very different and varied. Meaning, the discussion of rating the many model companies, might never reach a conclusion that the majority would agree with.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well that escalated quickly.
What could have been an OK thread on the pro's and cons of the plethora of plastic kits, what to watch out for and your opinion of them, the kit not the manufacturer, is different from person to person, even box to box.
I have built pretty much every genre, aircraft, armour, boats (or is it ships). Have experienced great kits from a manufacturer that have prompted me to buy that brand again. Result; a really bad kit. Airfix make some good kits, they make some not so good kits. Never had one that could not be built due to plastic issues. I have built absolut dogs from Tamiya and have built some great kits from them. I had one of their über spitfires, To say the fit was perfect would have been a lie. It took just about all my claps and a lot more glue than I would like to admit, but it went together.
Dragon kits are good. If you like paying for one and a half kits. The amount of 'left overs' after a sherman build, I could almost have built half a tank!
A thing I have wondered about the plastic quality... A lot moan about the soft quality from some of the European makers and praise the Eastern plastic. Could it be that the 'people' in Brussels have had a say on what may or may not be allowed in said plastics?

Barry started this thread with the best of intention to point out the pros and cons of the things HE has built and experienced. He has not said it was a comprehensive list.
Can we try to get this thread back on track? If you have some thing that contributes to the subject, post it, the more peoples views and opinions we get the better picture can be formed of what is what. If you have nothing to add that contributes to the subject, then dont.
Failing that the thread will be closed and removed.

First Name
Noel
Guys, not all of us can afford some of the very expensive kits on the market although their quality is generally without question.
Comparisons between manufacturers is all very well, and whilst there is nothing wrong with this, like it or not, generally the more well heeled modeller can indulge in higher end quality kits.
Less expensive newer kits are generally quite good these days so there is something to be found to suit everyone's pocket.
The industry over the years has had to develop to cater for the changing needs of the modeller. Back in the 1950's up to the late 80's there was a lively pocket money market, that has now largely been replaced by enthusiast modellers who are a lot less in number than the old pocket money market.
Some manufacturers keep peddling re issues of really very old smaller kits that may be bought to 'dip a toe' into the hobby so to speak by the unsuspecting. The downside to this is a that a potential new modeller could well be disappointed and put off by trying to build a kit made from knackered moulds dating back to the 60's and 70's.
There was a period some time ago in the past when some manufacturers were producing re issues and printing 'new' on the box instead of reissued.
Kit manufacturing is a fickle business where subject matter is all important for company survival. Hence the plethora of Spitfires, Me109's and P51 Mustangs that we see all the time. Many modellers looking through rose tinted glasses would like to see a very unusual subject that might be dear to their heart, but as for being viable to a mainstream manufacturer would prove to be a disaster. Wing Nut Wings unfortunately went out of business because the market they were producing for was too limited. Mainly highly detailed and expensive large scale WW1 aircraft was a niche market that did not sustain the sales needed.

Comparisons of quality between manufacturers is of value, but it really just comes down to what any individual can afford from their own disposable income.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
.... aaaand breathe! ;)

OK, my take.

I was a keen ,off the blocks, couldn't get enough kit builder when I restarted my love of modelling.

I learnt so much from members here it was incredible. (Thanks guys)

However, buying a £30 kit would keep my attention for a couple of months as I plodded through it.

Then Wifey, for my Birthday, bought me a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire.

The detail was brilliant, the time needed on it was three times longer than cheaper kits.

Buying the £20-30 kits quickly transpired to be not as much a challenge...

Since then my stash has drastically reduced and I only get 'higher end/spec' kits, they are more involved, take a lot longer and give me , personally, more satisfaction.

Just my take.

Del.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The cost of modelling in £/hr is important to some of us without a doubt. I'm not sure the complexity - therefore longer build time - of higher end kits is the whole answer though. 60 hours on a £60 kit works out the same as 30 hours on a £30 one in terms of modelling cost, but maybe the £30 kit needs more work to correct fit/detail issues and takes you 60 hours to complete - half the cost of the expensive kit. Which one do you enjoy most though?

It boils down to your preference of build style. Do you prefer putting together 'shake and bake' kits or would you rather fight with a poor one to get the superior result you want? That has to be a personal choice and in any group of modellers you'll get a split between the two types.

I am guilty of not finishing poorer kits which require too much work for my taste. But having said that, I've also got fed up of fitting 47 zillion tiny detail bits to expensive ones. Either way, I've ended up binning kits which helps neither my enjoyment nor my pocket!

I know why I didn't take up brain surgery - I'm not tall enough - but why didn't I pick rocket science instead of modelling? I reckon it would be less frustrating.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
To be honest, a modeller buys what he wants and if it turns out to be less than expected the majority of us will fiddle about to make as good as is possible with the skills we possess. If you want it and can afford it, then buy it and get on with it and if you want have a moan about it, fair enough. I found Barry's post quite informative and it is his opinion to which he is entitled. Me, I just buy what I want, cheap or expensive, if I want it then I will buy it and build it to the best of my ability, and, sometimes I have been known to bin a kit or 2 because it was beyond me to get it right, my choice, the same choice we all have. Some people think I was mad to spend seven and a half grand on my last motorcycle, but I wanted it and that was the price to pay. My next puchase kit wise will cost me around £45 when it comes out but I want it so I will gladly spend the cash.

Andy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
There are no bad kits it all depends on our hands.
HI Dave well you say there are no bad kits but this is just my opinion but i havnt made many kits for a while as im scratch building my hms tiger but before that i treid some kits to get back into plastic modeling an some were ok but when i bought a K/H jaguar kit it was as bad as it could be an like Tim has said it was an unbuildable kit an yes i know you were sayin it depends on our hands but really for a kit that was quite exspensive i had to do quite a bit a cutting in the kit with a dremel an a diamon cutter an fit in some plasti card to get this kit built but to me for the price i paid i would not have thought this to be nessasary an the decals just splintered an fell to bits which made me very angry but as i said this is just my opinion
chris

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7917

There are no bad kits it all depends on our hands.
That may well be the case, however, it would be nice if manufacturers would add the warning "Canopy required to be scratch built if you want a half-decent fit" on the box for those of us that are not as skilful as some.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Actually, thinking about it, I have never failed to finish a kit due to quality. I will therefore qualify my comment to “there are kits that cannot be built out of the box, but no kits that cannot be built at all”.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Actually, thinking about it, I have never failed to finish a kit due to quality. I will therefore qualify my comment to “there are kits that cannot be built out of the box, but no kits that cannot be built at all”.
YES Tim very true when i was thinking about it but for the price i paid for my K/H jag kit it should have been possible to build it straight out of the box an get decent decals as well again just my opinion
chris

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've bought cheap kits I've been pleasantly surprised with and more expensive kits I thought could have been better so it's not about the price,I now just go by if like the picture on the box /subject matter I'll buy it and try and make the best of it, if it takes some fiddling then so be it, I generally see a not so great fitting kit as a challenge that won't beat me lol.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
YES Tim very true when i was thinking about it but for the price i paid for my K/H jag kit it should have been possible to build it straight out of the box an get decent decals as well again just my opinion
chris
Agree with that. I had a similar issue with an etched brass kit from Falcon brass. It wasn’t cheap, but ended up as a basis for a scratch build….the white metal components in particular were simply junk.

D

Deleted member 7917

We are very fortunate in this day and age that it's very rare than an online/magazine/YouTube review cannot be found for any given kit. After buying a couple of really dud kits, I would now never buy one without reading/watching a review. Handy information regarding panel lines (raised?) and the option to pose the canopy open or shut are never described on the box. With so much review info available, one shouldn't make the mistake of buying a kit that is beyond one's skill level or expectations.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
We are very fortunate in this day and age that it's very rare than an online/magazine/YouTube review cannot be found for any given kit. After buying a couple of really dud kits, I would now never buy one without reading/watching a review. Handy information regarding panel lines (raised?) and the option to pose the canopy open or shut are never described on the box. With so much review info available, one shouldn't make the mistake of buying a kit that is beyond one's skill level or expectations.
HI Murfie yes you are right to look at reviews but i must admit thats not my cup of tea on reveiws as ive never looked at them in 60 odd yrs of building kits but as i bought an exspensive kit in that jag i exspected it to be all buildable an have good decals as the outer box was made beautifull as was the colour chart inside very nice indeed when i looked inside the kit when i was in hannants an this was not beyond my build skill level as over the yrs ive built loads of kits but it was below my expectations. for such a nice lookin kit but as my dad always used to say all that gltters aint gold as i found out an yes i should have looked at a review but would it say bad kit ? an has anyone looked up this kit in a review ?
chris

Reactions: JR

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Murfie yes you are right to look at reviews but i must admit thats not my cup of tea on reveiws as ive never looked at them in 60 odd yrs of building kits but as i bought an exspensive kit in that jag i exspected it to be all buildable an have good decals as the outer box was made beautifull as was the colour chart inside very nice indeed when i looked inside the kit when i was in hannants an this was not beyond my build skill level as over the yrs ive built loads of kits but it was below my expectations. for such a nice lookin kit but as my dad always used to say all that gltters aint gold as i found out an yes i should have looked at a review but would it say bad kit ? an has anyone looked up this kit in a review ?
chris

You hit on a key important point here ‘all that glitters is indeed not gold’. This is why I rate Kitty Hawk at the bottom of the pile, nicely presented with a high end ‘feel’ and with a ‘high end’ price tag, but the kits do not live anywhere close to their promise. Worse than that, they never did learn the lessons from their mistakes as some other companies have done. This is ultimately why they went bust. Every kit disappoints.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You hit on a key important point here ‘all that glitters is indeed not gold’. This is why I rate Kitty Hawk at the bottom of the pile, nicely presented with a high end ‘feel’ and with a ‘high end’ price tag, but the kits do not live anywhere close to their promise. Worse than that, they never did learn the lessons from their mistakes as some other companies have done. This is ultimately why they went bust. Every kit disappoints.
VERY well said Barry yes an id only bought one of their kits but i wont be caught out no more as what i had to do im my jag kit was ridiculous
chris

Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I wonder if anyone has ever done a survey of the models that win gold in competition. Not that this is any real guideline but it would illustrate the importance of the builder as opposed to the original model, since I suspect that all manufacturers would be represented amongst the winning models. I know not everyone is interested in competitions and I am not suggesting that they should be. However I would be interested to see the range of manufacturers that can turn out award winning models; in the right hands.

John