Rattleshirt and his Followers of Bone

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Look great Paul. I especially like the side shot of his nibs. Calibration shot at the end is also worthwhile, because we all sometimes forget how small these guys are. Interesting nail art where you unload the brush as well…..makes you a left hander I’d guess :smiling2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done Paul.

This is not a genre I've ever dabbled in but can appreciate great figure painting all the same.

Very well done

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Not a genre that interests me but I can certainly recognise a job well done. Beautifully painted and as Tim says it is easy to forget just how small these models are.
Jim

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks all for the kind comments.

The most important aspect of this painting lark is - I'm improving. Since February I've painted 120+ 28mm minis. This is the only way to get better!

You can get better more quickly if you also watch tutorials, glean advice from more experienced painters (like the ever-helpful Mr. Marlow :thumb2:) and so on, but practising is not negotiable!

As Miniac says: Paint. More. Minis!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Totally agree. Tutorials are great, they enable you to more quickly get to grips with a technique or colourway. However, one day you have to use this information. Practice practice, practice! It’s the only thing that works.
The other aspect is this…..once you get to the point of being able to successfully put the paint where you want it, start trying other types of figures or finishes, such as animals or plaid and tartans. If you only ever paint the same sort of figure you will get very good at them, but will be a bit one dimensional as a painter. Setting yourself goals and challenges outside of your comfort zone stretches your skill set.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Agreed, Tim. I really enjoyed painting the war mammoths - much larger figures needing a rather different approach. I'm looking forward to painting some larger human figures too - maybe a 1/12th scale bust?

But I've also got a model motorcycle to build, that I've not touched. My plastic model construction skills are likely to be very rusty after many decades, and techniques and materials seem to have changed quite a bit. I'm thinking of getting a relatively simple plastic model to practise on.

And I've also got more 28mm minis in need of a lick of paint.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I'm thinking of getting a relatively simple plastic model to practise on.

I don't know what scale your work in Paul but when I came back to the hobby several years ago after 25-year break I discovered "quick build" kits in 1/72.

They range from the very, very simplistic and very cheap, up to to some surprisingly good and detailed kits for not a lot more. As an example, Zvezda do a very good range of quick build kits at this scale.

ATB.

Andrew

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's interesting, Andrew. I'm not sure I want anything too simple, but definitely don't want to make lots of mistakes with the bike, which I'd like to build to a high standard, if I can. Any tips on a good thread for learning the basics would be appreciated (my most recent plastic modelling experience was in the era of splodgy, stringy polystyrene cement and slapping on decals without any special potions, after all).

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's interesting, Andrew. I'm not sure I want anything too simple, but definitely don't want to make lots of mistakes with the bike, which I'd like to build to a high standard, if I can. Any tips on a good thread for learning the basics would be appreciated (my most recent plastic modelling experience was in the era of splodgy, stringy polystyrene cement and slapping on decals without any special potions, after all).
It sounds like you'll be having a similar experience to the one I did when I came back to the hobby.

When I left it was the tubes of poly cement and a trimmed matchstick to apply it with....... And when I came back I found these bottles of liquid glue with with precision syringe-like needles.... And even super-runny stuff called Tamiya Extra Thin with a brush of all things!!!

In my case we plumped for quick build kits because they were perfect for my then 6-year old son...... Even the simpler full-on assembly kits were too much for him at that age.

Hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
My two penneth on this would be to pick a kit of something you want to build as a practice. You’ll put more care and effort in if you really want the end result. Also, if you want to build a bike, it’s a different skill set to tanks and aircraft in some ways, especially the gloss finish needed for the tank, fairings and side panels. I would recommend one of the cheaper bikes in the Tamiya range if that’s what you want to learn to build. The 750 Honda looks great when completed.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yeah. I can certainly see that those high gloss paint finishes are critical to the look of bikes and cars - I might well try a different bike (one with cast, not spoked, wheels!)