RC MD 500 repair

T

T. van Vuuren

The inside of the boom had to be repared with a paste of epoxy and cotton flox to get an even surface to put the glass tape on.

I also made a plug to mold the 160mm boom extention over. I used a balsa frame with sheet balsa to give shape. The pink stuff is PVA to help get the plug out again........does kinda look like a strawberry lolly LOL!

The glass over the plug is 2 layup of 63gr and a single layup of very fine glass to smooth it out a bit.

When cured I will fill and sand it and then attach to the rear of the boom. Then the "fun" begins, to try and bland it all in so that there is no visable seam and not add to much weight in the prossess.

Theuns

View attachment 56636

View attachment 56637

View attachment 56638

View attachment 56639

View attachment 56640

MD 500.jpg

MD 500 004.jpg

MD 500 006.jpg

MD 500 007.jpg

MD 500 008.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx. The repair is the easy part, making it as seamless and pretty as I can will be the hard part!

Theuns

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Judging by the work on view from your last helicopter thread, the problems shouldn't be too much to overcome.

Tony.

M

M.D.S

Nice work, I am sure the final result will be superb, looking forwards to seeing the pics :smiling3:

Mark.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx , the haslle with these type of models is that tehy are super glossy and that shows up the slightest imperfection! That is why build military plastics as they are usually matt or satin LOL!

Theuns

M

M.D.S

Looking good - The next hardest bit will be to match that paint !! ;)

Mark.

T

T. van Vuuren

Strangly matching the paint is not my major worry, the paint guy here is darn good at doing it by Mk1 eye!

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx, pitty about the slight step where extention meets boom, but no other way of safely making the joint internally, just plainly no space to do so and with these things I do not gamble.

Especially if the ovner has invested a good 1500 UK squidd in it!

Theuns