Re tamiya spitfire Project

P

Pete Mac

Hi again folks,

I sprayed the lowel half first (caution) of my Spitfire with Vallejo gloss varnish, prior to weathering and painting roundels ect. It turned out reasonably well but with a very slight orange peel effect. Has anyone come across this ? I'm wondering, if when I cover this with the matt varnish, that this will disappear due to a shrinking effect which I found when brushing the same finish.

Also, (apologies if this is an old chestnut). As i have opted for paint/ masking the roundels are the Tamiya colours anywhere near a match, I don't want to get too obsessive on the exact match as I've no doubt that during this period quite a few questionable variations cropped up.

Thanks, Pete.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I assume what you mean by that is that its a bit rough? This could be because you sprayed it from too far away, you either need to spray closer in or to thin the varnish a little. I use this varnish and this has happened to me too and when the matt is sprayed it looks OK though still a rough surface. You can lightly sand between coats of paint with very fine sandpaper, after each coat has fully cured.

Making sure there is no dust on the model is something else you need to do before spraying, wipe it over with a damp (not wet) cloth.

I would advise practising on scrap plastic first...

Hope that helps.

P

Pete Mac

Thanks Barry,Yes just a tad rough but only very slightly. I did thin a little but because I am using propellant cans (false economy I know) the pressure is too high resulting in too much finish and too wet,hence spraying from an increased distance. I shall rub it down with W&D prior to applying the matt and after painting the roundels etc. I shall invest in a compressor later on. Thanks again, Pete.

T

tecdes

Pete. Also add to Barry's good advice. Did you give the little bottle a really good shake. This is to make sure the acrylic resin in the varnish really mixes well.

Also a warning really give the air brush a good clean as the varnish does clog more than the paint. If you have Vallejo cleaner blast a cupful through after cleaning.

I also always test on a discarded plastic water bottle before spraying the real thing. Saves a lot of heart ache. Also makes sure the brush is working correctly.

Aaahh. The outside world has no idea what traumas we have to go through !

Laurie

P

Pete Mac

Thanks Laurie, Good idea re the plastic milk bottle! I make sure the brush is thoroughly cleaned as I've been warned as to the 'guming' properties of the varnish. Regards, Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you are spraying Vallejo Model color, dark prusian blue is not far of. The Dark red is a better bet that the flat red. They are by no means a perfect match but will give you a starting place.

Ian M

P

Pete Mac

Thanks Ian, what are your thoughts on the yellow, for the roundel that is, Pete

P

Pete Mac

Ian, In response to your help re the roundel colours, I have gone for Vallejo dark red, bright red, (in case it needs brightening a bit) Prussian blue, white and deep yellow, I already have black, also white to aid mixing. Hope I've got it somewhere near as trying to find the correct colour codes was nothing short of impossible. Thanks, Pete