Realistic wood

B

Buck

Help! i'm rubbish at painting the wooden handles of the tools on my AFV's . I'm guessing that there is a fully developed brain out ther who can show/tell me how .

Buck

A

andygh

Paint a base coat of pale wood/sand, when it's dry give it a transparent wash with a dark brown coloured oil paint or ink, that's what I do

T

tecdes

Recently did this for the first time Buck.

Did as Andy suggested gave a base coat. Did not worry about covering all the pastic made it rather see through & patchy.

Then using a stiffish brush plonked it it the paint. Then brushed it virtually out of the brush so that only paint will come out when pressure is applied to the bristles. Then brushed the wood piece gently increasing the pressure on the wood piece to suit. Making sure I brushed only in one direction & did not cross over on the grain already applied. Did this with several colours from brown /back to lighter browns.

Did a lot of practice.

View attachment 42377

Laurie

View attachment 45719

P2150031.jpg

C

CDW

for 1/35 spade/pickaxe etc handles my method is paint it a light (ish) brown. make a black wash and use a fine stubble brush to apply this along the handle achieving steaks if possible, when dried use the same brush to (very lightly) add a couple of steaks of the original brown colour (basically so you can only just see them).

Some kits i've had have given the handles a small amount of woodgrain detail,... just base colour and a black wash seems to be fine on these.

D

dubster72

You could always cut the tool heads off & replace the handles with sanded-down cocktail sticks. I put mine in the Dremel & spin the sticks through sandpaper, narrows them down in no time! A quick stain with oils & it's done!

Cheers

Patrick

B

Buck

Thanks for being arsed i'll give that a shot .....you talkin raw umber?

Regards

Ian

B

Buck

Patrick , you are above average ! what do you do with the sticks to finish them? No good bringing me to climax then stopping for a fag ! More please

Ian

B

Buck

Thanks Laurie , wow! that pic you include looks tres good.My problem is that i'm dealing with a piece of plastic thinner than a really thin thing and less forgiving than my partner/jailer/el presidente/ fuhrer/ etc etc ........

N

noble

i do my wood effects in a few ways depends on the tone i want. first use alight grey base colour then use a heavy wash of burnt number and let it dry. or if i want slightly darker brush the burnt number directly from the tube, leave it for five minutes then use a cotton bud to remove the excess. to change the tone change the base colour to dark yellow or buff.

Scott