Recent Model's

C

Caledonia

I recently joined the Aircraft Form, and in my introduction I made a mistake in saying that I last modeled in the 1960's it was actually the 1950's when you could go into Woolworths and buy a Spitfire. Typhoon etc etc for 2/-

Anyway, I have attached a couple of my efforts since retiring, the first model was a Revell Tornado GR1 1/72 Scale, the second was an Eastern Express 1/72 EE Lightning F6, followed by a 1/72 Lysander. I have done an Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan, this last aircraft showed me that hand painting was not an option for the larger models which I am now attempting, I am now using airbrush, although it fills me with dread everytime I pick it up.

View attachment 19622

View attachment 19623

View attachment 19624

View attachment 19625

View attachment 19626

Tornado.jpg

EE Lightening.jpg

Lysander.jpg

Avro Vulcan 1.jpg

Avro Vulcan 2.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Thats some very nice work my friend. All you need to do now is a little bit of weathering on your next ones.

Well done

Andy

C

Caledonia

Andy, Many thanks for your comments, I don't think I would ever be brave enough to attempt weathering. I recently completed the 1/32 Trumpeter Mig 29M. It was my first attempt at Airbrushing using a can propellent, very hair raising covering large areas before icing-up. I am now building a Trumpeter SU-27B which is even larger, so have invested in a compressor.

Kind Regards

Derek

View attachment 19639

View attachment 19640

View attachment 19641

MIG 29M 1.jpg

MIG 29M 2.jpg

MIG 29M 3.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Derek, that looks nice! Very nice indeed! Another welcome addition to the modelling fraternity (and sorority of course!).

Gern

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Dereck,

Great work there, I think all of them look really good. Since you are back to modelling, we all expect to see atleast five new models a week from you from now on....(just joking) But i would love to see your new builds as you complete them. (I too am a fan of aircraft models :smiling3: ).

Have a good day, and again, great work,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

C

Caledonia

Greg, Thank you for the words of encouragement, my current model as you will have seen from above is the Trumpeter Sukhoi SU-27B 1/32 Scale. To me it is one on the worlds most beautiful aircraft. It will be a month or two before I have it finished, but just to give you some idea of the size of this model, I have taken a photo of it so far along side the 1/72 Tornado.

I usually fit the nose cone last so that I can play with the ballast, but the unusual shape of the joint, as you can see, prevents this so I am going to have to guess the weight needed this time. The MIG 29M took a lot of ballast.

Will post the SU-27B when finished, and have picked up the courage to show it to she who must be obeyed, thanks again.

Kind Regards

Derek

View attachment 19651

Sukhoi SU-27B.jpg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy again Dereck,

I usually do the same thing and wait to find out exactly how much weight i will need. However, I have also learned that you can "cheat abit sometimes and do one of several other things to add weight or balance the model.

One method involves drilling a small hole and "squirting" modelling putty into the model thru the hole the other less "obvious method would be to use a small piece of wire, heated and pushed into the back side of the rear wheel at such an angle so as to provide a "prop" for the model to rest on (see enclosed drawing)

I hope this helps,

Greg aka geedubbya (GW)

View attachment 19652

using wire to balance model.jpg

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Howdy again Dereck, I usually do the same thing and wait to find out exactly how much weight i will need. However, I have also learned that you can "cheat abit sometimes and do one of several other things to add weight or balance the model.

One method involves drilling a small hole and "squirting" modelling putty into the model thru the hole the other less "obvious method would be to use a small piece of wire, heated and pushed into the back side of the rear wheel at such an angle so as to provide a "prop" for the model to rest on (see enclosed drawing)

I hope this helps,

Greg aka geedubbya (GW)
Greg, Thanks for that, especially the wire trick. The MIG 29M which was also 1/32 scale virtually needed the nose cone full of small nails. The tail assembly is really heavy in these models and well off the models centre of gravity. Derek