Recommendation for German Luftwaffe acrylic paints?

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
I just got a Tamiya He162 A-2 "Salamander". I love Tamiya paints but they recommend their AS series paints (spray can). I'm not a fan of these as I've tried them on other projects with not good results, and also they are very expensive per can. However these Tamiya colours do not come in the regular Tamiya bottles (X or XF series). So... can anyone recommend another makers acrylic paint in proper German colours? (I use an airbrush to paint)

Thanks

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Tom.
Must be some sets from A-mig, or Vallejo that would suit. Both have good online catalogues showing the colours including RAL colours.
Would need to play with the mixes v thinners as tip drying can be a chore. I add some flow improver to help.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve decanted the AS series paints for airbrush use in the past. They are then as good as the X and XF ranges. For similar paint to the XF range, try Mr Color paint. Even the bottles will be familiar...

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
AK interactive do a nice paint set.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Tom.
Must be some sets from A-mig, or Vallejo that would suit. Both have good online catalogues showing the colours including RAL colours.
Would need to play with the mixes v thinners as tip drying can be a chore. I add some flow improver to help.
Hi John

Definitely is. I acquired the Vallejo pre war-1941 and 1941-1945 for Christmas last year. I started using the early ear set for the first time for 109 in the Dogfight Doubles build recently. I can't comment on the accuracy of the colours as I'm not an expert but they spray well and contain a very useful guide on the use of the colours.

HTH

Andrew

Reactions: JR

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There are two aspects to your question.

Do you want the easiest paints to use or the most accurate colours?

The best RLM colours I've seen in acrylics are from Xtracolour, but they are not the easiest to use. There may be more recent and better options, I'm not an acrylic user

Barry's MRP's are superb paints, very easy to use, probably the easiest and most straightforward paints in any system that I have ever sprayed, but some of the RLM colours are way off*.

You pays your money etc........

*I use the Merrick/Kiroff and Ullmann swatches as my references.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Personally i use Vallejo Model Air and Hannants Xtracrylix for all my Luftwaffe painting.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I liked the Xtracrylix colours but never really got on with them. That's just me, other people seem to manage perfectly fine with them.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I got told to use warm water with them. Works a treat.