Recon Productions 1/9 Chosin Few Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7346.JPG

This is another one from my friend Richard Pearce. Recon productions is run by the very talented sculptor, Sverre Melleby, with castings by YS Masterpieces of Greece, who also work for Pegaso, among others.

It depicts a marine BAR-gunner of the Chosin Few, Korea 1950.

The box contents:

100_7349.JPG

This looks very good indeed. There is virtually no clean-up to do on the superbly modelled and cast parts.

One thing I was a bit uncertain of was the fact that the helmet sits rather high on the head, but research has shown that, assuming the liner is kept in, that would be the case. These are marines with frostbite awaiting evacuation:

WAITING_WAITING._These_frostbite_casualties_of_the_embattled_First_Marine_Division_and_Seventh...jpg

The chap on the left looks very like our man, and his helmet sits even higher if anything.

So, I'll give this my best shot. The challenge will be to make him look as cold and tired as his expression indicates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Great looking bust.He'll be wearing his fur-lined cap under his helmet-Russian style.
Jon.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A wise choice monsieur.A nice hunk of resin to get the brushes and paints going on.
Chair pulled up.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - I'm trying to, but that face!

Jon - Thanks for that. I had realised as he's similar to the Young Miniatures version I did a couple of years ago:

100_7354.JPG

As you can see, the helmet sits lower.

I spent a good few hours struggling with the face:

100_7351.JPG100_7352.JPG100_7353.JPG

I made the mistake of trying to copy the box art and got into a real mess, so I went back to tried and tested methods, Still a little refining to do.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I’m here but I’m not getting comfortable because it will be completed soon as I a ask for my second cup of coffee

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I’m here but I’m not getting comfortable because it will be soon as I a ask for my second cup of coffee

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - I think this will take slightly longer than usual, so ask for a refill by all means.

Mark - Quite hard to empathise and do a cold-looking complexion on the hottest day of the year so far!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looking forward to this one immensely. Should be a great bust looking rather cold on forlorn.

Well done Richard. Top man

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve, thanks for looking in.

I've done a bit of refining to the face and am going to leave it alone now:

100_7356.JPG100_7357.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I reckon you have captured the cold, fed up, resigned look very well.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Petet

very nice, he certainly look thoroughly miserable.

peter

D

Deleted member 4539

Very cold looking face Peter :smiling3:.
Is it Martin Keown in disguise?.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps. I'm afraid I had to look up Martin Keown Ralph, but I do see the resemblance.

D

Deleted member 6559

I ended up doing more work to the face after all:

100_7360.JPG

I decided to open the eyes up more and to add some redder tints to the cheeks and the end of the nose. I think it makers him look colder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t know about Martin Keown, he looks just like my old boss LOL. Great face as always though....

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Tim.

If I found one that looked like my old boss I'd probably have to give up the hobby - still have nightmares about her 18 years after last seeing her.