Red Baron Fokker Triplane-Issue 66 building the fin/rudder.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
826bdbd0.jpg

Commence assembly of the rudder parts by clamping the lower rib to a small set square after first removing the surplus metal where it joins the hole portion,assemble with cyno or epoxy as preferred

828b3d90.jpg

Next do the same for the other main rib but this time thread the rib onto the sternpost,apply adhesive.

82abcbf0.jpg

Fit the brass curved piece into the hole at the base of the sternpost,apply adhesive,then carefully adjust the brass to shape following the trailing edge of the ribs and then glue these as well.

82cc9e50.jpg

In my case the sternpost upper did not meet the brass,so I added a piece of brass tube over the post,then filed it carefully to meet the shape and continued with the glueing operation.

82eb6f60.jpg

I then finished off the joints with cold weld and allowed this to cure overnight.The rudder horns were then filed to fit and assembled.

A check on the rudder support hinges showed them to be very brittle and they snapped,in view of this I intend to make my own from brass strip when the rudder is finally assembled to the sternpost.

Last edited by a moderator: