Red Baron Fokker Triplane-Issue 67,The fuel tank.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The fuel tank should present no problems,however ignore the offset dimensions given with the instructions,they dont exist and just confuse the issue ! if you check the dimensions you will see that each side is equal,well at least it was on my own set of parts,so dont worry about this apparent error.Start by carefully removing the individual pieces and then as instructed with a small swiss file bevel the edges where the tabs locate,just keep checking until everything fits together but do not apply any adhesive until satisfied that everything fits snugly,then it should look like this-

98ae43d0.jpg

984e3ce0.jpg

When happy with the fits apply PVA adhesive to all of the corners and hold together with masking tape until everything is dry.

986dcd70.jpg

When everything has been sanded down and the edges bevelled slightly give a couple of coats of thinned down PVA adhesive,sand down again and then cover with fine model aircraft tissue,this will knit the grain together and also provide a smooth surface for the paint.

988dfd90.jpg

The tank can then be painted silver to represent the original tanks fitted in Fokker Dr.1 triplanes,dont overdo the finish as the real tanks looked scruffy and a super gloss smooth finish is unrealistic and not required.There was probably some webbing around the originals but until I find a reference I will leave mine like this.Dont forget to open up the various holes in the tank where the mazak fittings will go.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

crashgate4

suggestion for tank

Rather than painting the fuel tank I used kitchen foil, which has a shiney side and a dull side. Using the dull side gives a rather good metalic finish. Just needed to cut a small slot behind where the metal fittings go so the glue holds.

Trevor

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Rather than painting the fuel tank I used kitchen foil, which has a shiney side and a dull side. Using the dull side gives a rather good metalic finish. Just needed to cut a small slot behind where the metal fittings go so the glue holds.Trevor
*** Great tip Trevor,I just tried experimenting with a piece of this foil onto some wood,used copydex adhesive and a rubber artists painting tip to smooth the foil out,I think that I will do my tank this way,it certainly looks much better than mere silver paint.It is also good to know that others here are building this model.

T

Teddy

Barry, It may be worth mentioning that there was a right hand compartment in the fuel tank for the castor oil or certainly some sort of luboil. There was a filler on the right hand top of the tank which looked identical to the petrol filler. ( Mirror image ). I intend to add the oil filler nozzle, but cannot understand why Hachette missed this out. Should be easy to do. Will obviously need a hole cutting in the cowling top cover to suit ( eventually ). TED ( 'hopped across from the other group - I'll now skip back again )

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes Ted,I think that Hachette have very much simplified this model,like yourself I keep finding other detail fittings etc not on this model,at the moment I am concentrating on getting the basic model made here at the moment to assist others who could be struggling with it,however once it is completed I intend to add additional detail with scratchbuilt components,these will detailed here as well,thanks for your feedback on this model Ted it is much appreciated.