Reedees 1/9 German Figure

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_9029.JPG

I know I said that I was a bit tired of painting German figures, but this fantastic sculpt by Steve Readdie has arrived and needs to be started now. You will recall that I recently abandoned the building of Italeri's rerelease of a 1/9 figure, and that during the discussion I mentioned a range of figures in the same scale available from Reedees. I decided to take the plunge and order one, with the view to using some of the Italeri kit parts and other Verlinden bits and pieces I had in the spares box:

100_8983.JPG100_8984.JPG100_8989.JPG

The 1/35 figure is included to give some idea of the scale.

These are the Reedees parts:

100_9030.JPG

Really beautifully sculpted, with an excellent fit and most of the casting blocks already removed. The figure depicts a dismounted motorcyclist having a stretch after a long day in the saddle, and is intended to accompany some of the 1/9 ESCI motorcycles that are available. My intention is to give him more equipment in order to depict a trooper from an armoured division during the French campaign of 1940, equally fatigued by a long advance into enemy territory.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
"dismounted motorcyclist having a stretch after a long day in the saddle"
I know that feeling :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Look forward to seeing him come together !

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Looks really nice. I didn't realise that 1/9 scale was so big.
Jim

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like a great kit Peter, and with your skill and the additions, know doubt it will be fantastic.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looks a fantastic sculpt. Glad it went together okay. Good luck with the wet stuff

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - He's lost his bike I'm afraid. On foot now and hitching rides.

Jim - Yes, he's pretty big and quite heavy.

Ian - No pressure then! I'll give it my best shot, although there's nowhere to hide at this scale.

Stevie J - A lovely sculpt. Just spending today on the build.

He's now ready for paint:

100_9031.JPG100_9032.JPG100_9033.JPG

As mentioned above, Reedees had already removed most of the casting blocks, so together with the excellent fit, this was a pleasure to put together. A little bit of filler was needed on a couple of joints and there were one or two pinholes to fill, but nothing drastic.

I'm just using the rifle, ammo pouches and document case from the kit, the rest is either by Verlinden or from the Italeri kit - the later are quite well done as it turns out. I'm not sure if I'll use all of the extras, but will wait and see whether he looks too encumbered or not.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

So, a bust with a body, arms and legs!

You'll need a padded rug on the floor just in case you drop this monster, definitely a risk with such a big figure!

If you ever feel like another journey into none figure modelling a 1/9 motorcycle would be a really good accessory?

Fingers crossed for a good day with the head too.

Reedee's 1/9 heads a really good value on the website when you compare with 1/35 Hornet heads from Historex!

That was a surprise when I had a look.

The 120mm 4 Arnhem paras base looks stunning, but very expensive.

Looks like a vaccination and freedom from lockdown in on the way.....................................in the next 6 months!

I think I am in group 6, which I guess will be around Easter next year.

Have a good day with the head

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

This is a big old lump of resin and will need a bit of care in handling,. I'm going to paint him as early war so, field grey tunic and grey trousers, which will provide some variety.

Yes, there are some lovely things on the Reedees site. The 120mm Arnhem and Point du Hoc dios look fantastic and are expensive, until you break down the price per figure and realise that they are very good value. Still, such an initial outlay would be hard to justify to the missus.

I think my diabetes ensures early vaccination, though as the disease has immuno-suppressant features the advice is still to be careful after the jab.

D

Deleted member 6559

More head shenanigans I'm afraid.

I had to give up with the kit head as I just couldn't get the eyes right. Also, he looked as though he was in extreme agony, as though he'd been shot, never mind had a bit of a bad back, so I wasn't too bothered about ditching it. I then dug out a couple of spares, also by Reedees, and ended up ditching the first one, and moving on to number three, which fortunately has worked out:

100_9056.JPG

I lost the light by the time I'd finished, so had to take this with flash, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks fine to me Peter. Pity about the other two.....

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Peter

That again has almost photographic qualities to it. A most excellent start.

ATB

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry to hear about the heads Peter. This one looks most excellent and very realistic! You have a way with painting these fleshtones that look so natural.

I wonder why the first one was looking like he was in pain? Maybe because you didn't read the warning on the box.................

Prost
Allen

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Thanks. Another factor is that I haven't worked at this scale for a while and it always takes me time to adjust.

Andrew - I really struggled today and it took a while to stop panicking. Feeling a bit elated to have pinned this one down.

Allen - Glad you like head no.3. I'm pleased to have been able to use a head by the same sculptor, which of course fitted perfectly. As to the first one, I can only assume that bike-riding is playing havoc with his piles.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

3rd time is the charm and it does look very photogenic, the flash must have made all the difference.

Are you going up next for the helmet or down and the tunic front?

Looks like it will be a marathon both with the limited light against the sheer size of the 1/9 figure.

We had a hard frost overnight, the first time this season the car is white, quite an achievement for a red car!

Have a good day with the paints and keep warm, its cold out there!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve from a very foggy and frosty Kent. Really very cold here and not fun at all.

I think I'll go up to the helmet first, then hopefully get the collar and shoulder boards done today. My daughters and granddaughter arrive tomorrow, so bench time will be even more limited (''Gwandad, where are you?''), but at least we'll be secure in our family bubble and Christmas can start. I've got a stash of busts to get me over the Christmas period and have ordered extra paint and brushes to be on the safe side.

Hope you've got your long johns on - I have.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely work and such a detailed sculpt too.

I guess you need the larger scale to get little details like the packet of Gauloises or Gitane in the breast pocket and how it creases.

That brings back memories!

Looks like your visitor will have an impact on production, but I am sure it will be a welcome distraction.

Enjoy the paint and general fun of a busy house

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Steve Readdie has done a lovely job on this and has captured the creases on a worn uniform perfectly. I am a bit unenamoured with my painting of it so far so it's going to need a lot of work and thought to get it right. Never smoked myself, but appreciate the detail.

All hell lets loose today. We've spent the week in preparation for my granddaughters arrival, and all that remains is removing the breakables to a safe place.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
All hell lets loose today. We've spent the week in preparation for my granddaughters arrival, and all that remains is removing the breakables to a safe place.
I'm so glad our two have grown will past that point....the back chat we often get is something though I could do without!

Back to the painting Peter, he is coming on very nicely indeed.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Andrew. We've still got our 18 year old son at home. He's a good lad but very untidy.

Glad you like the figure so far.