References

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi All,
Just a quick question, what "Key words" do you guys and gals use when searching for detailed photos of vehicles on the internet. I use walkabout or restoration but never seem to find the detailed pictures that some of you find.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
i also use 'walkaround' but find that if i put in the specific item i'm looking for such as 'Fw190 A8 cockpit' etc it comes up with better results. Some model forums have detailed walkaround sections on them. Maybe have a look at them too

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just put in for example.
T34 WW2 Eastern Front Photos.
So the name of the vehicle, the era and the area.
Works most of the time, or T34 WW 2 walkabout.
Some of those dedicated sites for areas of conflict like the German units have hundreds of photos. Steve seems to have a way of finding the most obscure things.
John.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie,
My first search is through scalemates using the kit you are building and at the bottom of the page is walkaround links and after that I google the vehicle. Once Ifind a good site I bookmark it for future use. I'm sure that others will find more than I can but I get by.
regards Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Two important Google tips:
  • If you enclose a word or words in quote marks “” then it will search for those specifically, not trying to guess what you actually meant. This means that if you search for Panzer “III” you’re likely to get fewer results for other types of German tank than if you search for Panzer III without the quotes.
  • You can add a hyphen/minus sign before a word to indicate you don’t want to look for that.
  • These two can be combined.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
For me Paul its very much what the guys have said already.

My first go too places are Net-maquettes HERE, Prime Portal HERE and SVSM HERE.

Next I do the same as Jim and go to Scalemates.

Finally I do as Al does and go on other forums. BritModeller, Axis Forum and Armorama are very good for walk arounds.

When searching on Google put walk rounds rather than walkabouts otherwise you will get all things Aussie:smiling5:. As Al says, when using Google put in EG Panzer I tail light or Panzer I tow hitch. Then go in on images, click on the image you like and more often than not that will take you through to a walk around or a forum where some one else has already done the hard work for you:cool::thumb2:

However the easiest way, and the one most people do, is set up a direct debit or standing order with me through my offshore Cayman Island account. Then you can send me copious amounts of money each month and I will find you pictures of whatever you need. Simples!!:smiling5::smiling3::cool::cool::thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Steve,
I will have a look at those thanks for the advice. The off shore donations can I declare them on my tax returns as my accountant is a stickler for the rules. Or I could offer you a brown paper bag under the counter.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I prefer thick white envelopes. That way we can cut out the middle man!:smiling5::smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Guys...that old practice decided the fate of our old government. Enough said...Steve, whats the limit for an off shore account? :smiling6::tears-of-joy:

On searching I do the same as Steve so If I do open an off shore account, I can be your next option. :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks all, unfortunately I am not rich enough for an off shore account but if anybody fancies leaving any used notes in a brown envelope in a locker at Kings cross.
Simon thanks for the link and the voice of sanity.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Sorry to interject Scottie, but Richard if you want to help Scottie out as well then I am afraid I must insist on an introducer's fee. Just place the money in a slightly smaller white envelope and leave it next to Scotties in the locker at Kings Cross. There's a good chap.:smiling3::smiling5::cool::thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry to interject Scottie, but Richard if you want to help Scottie out as well then I am afraid I must insist on an introducer's fee. Just place the money in a slightly smaller white envelope and leave it next to Scotties in the locker at Kings Cross. There's a good chap.:smiling3::smiling5::cool::thumb2:

:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: and that's how prices excalate...

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
But we know now, so an even bigger white envelope pleased marked " Top Secret."
Thank you.