Remembering a record breaker

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi all, I haven't been on the forum for a good while, but the modelling hasn't stopped. My next project will be a Hawker Hunter FGA 9. I have the kit I need, but I need some help with paint scheme and decals.
Backstory:- Through my job as a care assistant I meet all sorts who have come to live in the care home I work in. A few years ago an elderly gentleman came to the care home, he introduced himself as Will Scarlett, though the first name was not his given name. He was at the end of his life and needed our assistance and care. He was a quiet man and didn't speak much about himself or what he used to do as a younger man. We cared for him and kept him as comfortable as his deteriorating condition would allow. As he approached the end of his life his family as a whole came to visit and one of his grandsons asked me if I knew what he had done when he was in the R.A.F. I said I didn't, and he said Will was one of "The 22" and I should look it up! So I did.
In 1958, at the Farnbrough air show, 22 Hawker Hunters, formed from the Black arrows and 12 others from other squadrons, performed a formation loop not once but twice, a world record, which stands up to the present day. This quiet and gentle man that I and the other members of the care team had been caring for was not only a fast jet fighter pilot but also a world record holding aerobatic pilot. When his grandson told me the story Will seemed almost embarrassed. Will was not one of the Black arrows, but one of the other pilots drafted in, which, I think, says more about his flying ability as he was chosen to complete the formation and not part of a team that practiced formation aerobatics more regularly.
After Will passed away, I have always wanted to build a model of his Hunter. But after recently acquiring a Hunter model kit, I did some research and hit a bit of a stumbling block. On youtube there is a video of the 22, made using a flight sim program, that says Wills Hunter was XE 584 and he was in position 53, but when I further researched XE 584, the site said this aircraft was in position 3. Also when I looked up a photo of XE 584 there is a squadron marking on the starboard side, a rampant lion holding a cross with a bar on either side with crosses, which does not appear on the video ?
If anyone can help me and locate the information I need to make this model in remembrance of a quiet, gentle man, I would be very grateful.
Tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I can't help either Tony, sorry, but what a interesting person he was, thanks for telling his story. Will make the model have a personal reason to it.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have some Hunter reference material, will get back to you asap.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have some Hunter pictures of a plane just down the road to me if you would like them just let me know.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
XE 584, ff 20.3.56 by Hugh Merriweathe. Dlvd 10.4.56, No 19 MU. CFE, DFLS (G) No 263 (F)Sqn. No 1(F) Sqn (W).
Converted by RAF to Hunter Interim Mk 9. No 8(F) Sqn.
Re-purchased by HSA, 2.76, as G-9-450. 3,262 flying hours and was awaiting disposal 1979.
CFE = Central Flying Establishment, West Raynham.
DFLS = Day Fighter Leaders School, West Raynham.
The above details referenced from 'Hawker Hunter' by Francis K. Mason. And the following photos are also from his book and for discusion only. (Nearest I could get to XE 584).
Mike.
20210818_164302.jpg
20210818_164559.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great story tony , hope you can solve the mystery of wills hunter , good to see you back posting too , cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just had a chinwag with my father, who was an armourer (not his fault, Riggers are far superior) on 26 Sqn with Hunters in 1958 and he says that the Black Arrows (and other aircraft) in the loop would have most certainly been Mk.6 aircraft. The Mk.9 came in later around 1963.

So something like this is available

Or this with the Black Arrows scheme

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL i see the black arrows doin fomation flyin an there was a lot of them in the air very early 60's an they were fab an then later when the blue diaimons took there place an again an they were fab an this was at RAF COLTISHALL airshow open day an i only wish then id had a video camera
chris